Sports and Food Delivery, Pt 1
Even after extensive research, information on only one of the sports that correlate with the highest number of food deliveries on game days in the US could be found. The sport that correlates with the highest number of food deliveries in the US is football. More information on the topic has been presented below, along with an outline of the research strategy.
- According to Exponential, food items (mainly pizza) go hand-in-hand with football. It is a classic tradition in the US to have pizza, beer, and friends when watching football games on TV.
- The study also analyzed the correlation between football games and the number of online orders received during football season and off-season. They also compared the orders on game days to non-game days to understand seasonality in consumer behavior.
- According to the study, there was an increased rate of sales on Saturday game days. The cities with an increased rate of sales included Madison, Wisconsin (42%); Ann Arbor, Michigan (97%); Auburn, Alabama (94%); and Athens, Georgia (67%).
- The increase in sales during Saturday game days could also be seen in Tallahassee, FL; Baton Rouge, LA; Gainesville, FL; and Knoxville, TN.
- In total, there was a 52% increase in food sales between "in-season Saturday game days and out-of-season Saturdays across 8 cities". Similarly, there was a 30% increase in sales "between the overall in-season and out-of-season average.”
- Chipotle, a fast-casual fast-food chain in the US, experienced a 700% increase in delivery order during the college football bowl season. Similarly, Chipotle's app recorded a 25% increase in downloads.
- This is the reason why many fast-food chains and restaurants offer delivery deals as a part of their promotions, specifically during the football season and Sunday game nights.
- Grubhub, an online ordering and delivery marketplace, released the list of most ordered food on Sunday game nights during football season. The food items were cheeseburger (156% more popular), chicken nuggets (142% more popular), barbecue burgers (128% more popular), potato wedges (122% more popular), and wings (121% more popular).
We started the research by looking into multiple food delivery industry reports on databases, such as PR Newswire, PMQ Pizza Magazine, and more. Our main aim was to find publicly available lists of sports that correlate with the highest number of food deliveries. However, no such list was available in the reports. We looked into multiple sports and cross-referenced them to food and meal deliveries. We were able to find some information on the Super Bowl and food deliveries. However, the information was not specific to the research.
Thereafter, we looked into the annual reports, fact sheets, and other relevant publications of popular delivery companies, such as Grubhub, Doordash, and Uber Eats. We were able to find some information on the Super Bowl and the most ordered food items in the US on Sunday game nights. Therefore, we were able to determine that football is an important sport in the delivery market. However, we were not able to find such information for any other sport.
Lastly, we tried to find the sales revenue of specific fast-food chains that are prominent in deliveries. The fast-food chains that we looked into included Domino's Pizza, Pizza Hut, Chipotle, and more. We found some qualitative information on the Super Bowl and football season. We also found a case study of a pizza chain that analyzed the food deliveries during the football season. However, we did not find any useful information for other sports through this strategy. Therefore, we were able to conclude that football correlates to the highest number of food deliveries.