This research provides the media spend, the primary media channels, and most recent initiatives or news-worthy events for the four gambling companies; FanDuel, William Hill, DraftKings, and Yahoo Fantasy.
- FanDuel betting is primarily done via its app which is available for both Android and IOS devices. They also offer a web-based platform.
- The most recent data available for media spend was from 2015.
- In 2015, the company valuation was $1.2 billion and its revenue was $30 million. The 2015 TV ad spend up until October 5th was $131.4 million.
- "NBA adds sports betting to FanDuel deal."
- At the end of 2018, the National Basketball Association (NBA) made a deal with FanDuel to add sports betting making it an authorized gaming partner.
- As the official daily fantasy partner of the NBA and the WNBA, FanDuel has access to betting data, league marks, and logos to use across their platforms.
- "A Fantasy Sports Lab? FanDuel Innovates With New Contest Types."
- LABS initiative is the source of new game offerings which feature unique and special player pricing and scoring rules. This initiative brought about several contests and features for each sport.
- NFL at FanDuel has contests such as NFL Super, NFL Mini, and NFL Single Game; NBA at FanDuel has contests such as NBA Starting Five and NBA Positionless; NHL at FanDuel has contests such as Pond Hockey and Captain; and EPL at FanDuel has contests such as 5 A-Side.
- "FanDuel Announces Exclusive Partnership With Indianapolis Colts."
- This betting platform offers desktop and on mobile app.
- In 2015, the company valuation was $1.3 billion and its revenue was $57 million. The 2015 TV ad spend up until October 5th was $74.5 million.
- "DraftKings Launches Corporate Social Responsibility Initiative."
- In 2018, DraftKings Inc. launched a CSR initiative dubbed "Tech for Heroes." This initiative sought to empower veterans by offering free high-tech job skills training starting off in Boston and then expand to other locations.
- This would be a 10-week course in front-end web development and peer-to-peer mentorship programs with DraftKing's employees which would include understanding the industry and improving their resumes. Additional support would be provided for the Tech for Heroes graduates who would pursue careers in tech.
- "DraftKings, National Council on Problem Gaming Announce Partnership to Raise Awareness."
- DraftKings partnership with NCPG aims at supporting existing initiatives such as "Safer Sports Betting Initiative" and "the Internet Responsible Gambling Standards."
- These initiatives ensure that large corporations are held to a standard in their business practices. This company is a platinum member alongside companies such as Caesars Entertainment and The Stars Group.
- "Latest DraftKings appointment to lead responsible gaming efforts."
- Christine Thurmond has been appointed as the director of responsible gaming in order to ensure that responsible gaming framework is established for its products such as iGaming, Sportsbook, and Fantasy Sports.
- Her 20 years of various leadership roles at the Harvard Medical School and her recent leadership position at the Massachusetts Council on Compulsive Gambling show that she is adequately equipped to take this leadership position at DraftKings.
- The goal of this role is to fully understand the issues while charting the way forward in this industry.
- This company was founded in 1934 and offers gaming and betting services. These services are presented across three platforms: Online, phone, and the high street. This company has over 15,000 employees in the UK, Ireland, Israel and Bulgaria.
- This company is focused on providing these services on demand internationally.
- William Hill Online was established in 2009 and soon became the leading European online sports and gaming betting business.
- William Hill offers their desktop platform and also launched their betting app.
- The global media spend by this company is estimated to be $80 million and $20 million in the US.
- This segment of the business serves over 175 countries, in six languages and dealing in 11 currencies.
- In 2007, the company run over 60,000 events across 169 countries.
- The company website offers casino, poker, bingo, and skill games.
- "William Hill launches ‘Nobody harmed by gambling’ initiative."
- This company launched a new responsible gambling initiative called ‘Nobody harmed by gambling’ led by Lyndsay Wright, the new director of sustainability.
- This initiative is divided into nine commitments, categorized into three sections, that will assist in addressing the gambling problem in the UK. These categories are immediate, long-term, and wider collaboration.
- "Bonds of brotherhood at the heart of William Hill’s new brand campaign."
- In order to increase the brand's momentum, William Hill partnered with 72andSunny Amsterdam. This was aimed to inspire a culture of social betting creating a connection between people, whether they win or loose.
- The campaign dubbed ‘It’s who you play with’ was advertised on national TV channels, rolled out in Spain, and across various media channels. The marketing director addresses how the love of sports has the power to bring people together and that betting enhances the enjoyment as a social experience.
- "NBA and William Hill Announce Sports Betting Partnership."
- In 2019, The National Basketball Association partnered with William Hill and made it their authorized sports betting operator in the US.
- This partnership allows Hill to use official NBA league marks and betting data on its various platforms such as mobile and sports books in the US and NBA will promote William Hill on its digital assets: website, app, and social media platforms.
- Fans are able to bet via Yahoo app or Yahoo desktop.
- The advertising spend is estimated to be under $100 million.
- Yahoo Sports was initially started on December 8, 1997, as a sports news site.
- Via Yahoo Sports, Yahoo Fantasy offers bets in Fantasy Football, Fantasy Baseball, Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy Hockey, Fantasy Pro Pick’em, Survival Football, and Fantasy College Pick’em.
- The Bestball platform offers links to Yahoo Fantasy's different betting options. In three steps, one is able to join a league and draft a team. Weekly results will count and the points at the end of the year.
Yahoo Daily Fantasy
- According to reviews, this platform is very polished and has great features. It displays soccer and golf contests and the major sports leagues: NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL.
- The interface of the user's platform is intuitive as it enables one to manage contests and leagues with ease. One can create custom contests making it feel like a typical seasonal league.
- Yahoo Sportsbook allows users in New Jersey to legally bet. This has been integrated into Yahoo app and Yahoo desktop.
- This platform enables fans to bet on NBA, NHL, college sports among others.
- "Yahoo Sports Launches New Yahoo Sportsbook With BetMGM."
- Yahoo Sports partnered with BetMGM to launch Yahoo Sportbook that allows anyone in the US to view betting odds for various sports. This includes live updating. This is availed to users who meet the age requirement in New Jersey and will be rolled out to other states where betting/gambling is legal.
- "Yahoo Sports Extends Its Live-Streaming Rights Into Its Fantasy Football App."
- In partnership with Verizon, Yahoo Sports announced that it will now be able to live-stream televised prime-time games as they keep track of their own teams within the app.
- These streams will be available on Verizon and NFL media channels/properties to be viewed on phones and tablets. Users will be granted free and unauthenticated access.
Our thorough analysis of the websites of each company and news agencies provided insights into some initiatives that the companies have been a part of. We were unable to find three initiatives per company but were able to provide major news articles, new technology, or any related news that had the potential to grow the business. We have provided this information under the topic of initiatives/news.
Our research was able to provide at least three news/initiatives for all companies except for Yahoo Fantasy. The articles we would find are announcing the start of new seasons for different sports.
Our thorough research into William Hill was unable to provide more insights into the company and their fantasy sports segment. We were able to provide a chart that showed the different betting methods offered. This chart can be found here. It provides a side-by-side comparison with FanDuel. This comparison provides a greater insight into the betting capabilities of each platform.
We were able to provide this information for all companies. Although this information may not be within the past two years, it is the most recent information available publicly.