Fortune 1000: Using AI, Machine Learning, and Big Data (Part 1)
Amazon, AT&T, Verizon, and Comcast Cooperation are Fortune 1000 companies similar to Cognizant that use machine learning, AI, and big data. All these companies use big data, machine learning, and/or AI to enable them to work efficiently and improve in areas such as customer service, remaining agile, and running their internal operations better.
- According to Forbes, Verizon uses machine learning and AI to predict events that might impact customers and then prevents them from occurring.
- Verizon uses AI to predict increases in data traffic, according to an article on their website. The AI also identifies problems that may occur in the network and fixes the problems to ensure flawless service.
- The company introduced its new AI "Digital Customer Experience" recently, according to a TechRepublic article. The platform allows businesses to integrate into Verizon's existing customer support and provides virtual assistance 24/7 through social media, email, text messages, and chat services.
- According to the same TechRepublic article, Verizon's customer service provides a more personalized experience for customers. The four components the AI includes are: virtual agents, live agents, knowledge assist, and social engagement.
- According to Amazon's website, Amazon's SageMaker is a service that they offer that equips developers and data scientists with the ability to build, train, and develop machine learning models at a faster rate than normal.
- Amazon is using big data collected from customers to fine tune personalized recommendations for each customer, according to Bernard Marr & Co. The more information Amazon gathers about its customers, the more it is able to predict what customers might want to buy.
- A Forbes article says that Amazon is using an AI management strategy called the Flywheel. The Flywheel's aim is to ensure that knowledge is spread throughout all the areas of the company, acting as a breeding ground for other AI innovation in the company.
- The same Forbes article details that the Amazon Echo has been one of Amazon's most successful uses of machine learning and their AI bot Alexa. Alexa has also been integrated into Amazon Music, Prime Video, and other companies such as Capital One.
- AT&T is using big data to improve efficiency and customer experience, according to a Dataconomy article. AT&T developed a tower outage analyzer that enables them to have more information about the affected areas, and then prioritizes areas that have been affected more than others by outages.
- The Dataconomy article says that AT&T is also using big data insights in motor vehicle repair and maintenance because of the large fleet of vehicles that they own. AT&T has developed a system that collects data using 80 different metrics to predict which vehicles will need maintenance before the cars die, describing the process as “moving from time interval maintenance to just-in-time maintenance.” It can predict when to replace car batteries before they die to avoid paying a jump-start bill, for example.
- AT&T is using machine learning and AI in selecting the best location for their retail stores, according to a ZDNet article. AT&T is looking to add 1000 stores in 2019, including pop-ups, mobile stores, traditional stores, and authorized retailers, and are using cutting edge analytics to learn what type of store to place in which locations. The AI considers drive/walk time and the predicted growth in the communities to decide what kind of retail format to have in a specific location.
- Another area in which AT&T is using machine learning is in improving its communications through what they call "software-defined network." It is a program that is capable of learning how to spot irregularities in the system and repair those technical issues autonomously, according to a HuffPost article.
- According to a Center for Digital Democracy (CDD) article, Comcast is using Big Data to enable proactive monitoring and to decide what adverts to show during which programmes.
- Comcast's Applied Artificial Intelligence (AI) group is working to create intelligent applications, according to the CDD article. They are using machine learning to build a virtual assistant that will interact with millions of customers in their language to find solutions to their needs.
- According to the CDD article, Comcast is expanding more into data-driven marketing, using acquisitions like Strata and Choozle to help marketers target consumers through various platforms. Their NBCUniversal division is also targeting its viewers using things like data-based profiling.
- According to a Fierce Video article, Comcast implemented a machine learning program that the company can use to accurately predict whether it needs to dispatch a technician to a customer’s home to fix connectivity problems or whether the issue can be fixed remotely.