Fortress Building Products - Trends in Decking Railing, and Framing
Distressed hardwood and natural bold colors are examples of current trends in decking railing, and framing, while roof top decking and customized railings through personal touches are examples of emerging trends in decking railing, and framing.
- According to residential construction data providers — Metrostudy, the 2018 economic conditions point to a 4.6% increase in the number of decks installed this year, translating to approximately 158,000 more deck jobs nationwide. Homeowners are investing more in outdoor spaces than ever before with 85% of those renovating opting for a major remodel or a complete overhaul.
- Houzz noted that 39% of landscaping projects take place in the front yard, 18% of homeowners remodeling updated outdoor entertainment items, and 88% upgrade outdoor living elements with 43% of them upgrading lounge furniture, 38% fire pits, 35% lights, 34% dining furniture, and 27% benches.
- A report by IBIS Research predicts the non-wood segment to continue growing at a CAGR of 4.5% and will reach 17.9% by 2020 while wood decking is predicted to grow at a CAGR of 1.3% annually through the same period. Remodeling projects are also on the rise as homeowners gravitate from traditional decking products toward low-maintenance composite decking alternatives.
1. DISTRESSED HARDWOOD
- Most homeowners prefer the ‘look and feel’ of natural wood — they just do not like the time and effort consumed to keep lumber looking its best.
- According to Trex, composite decking is expected to grow at above average annual rate in demand through 2020. Experts predict this segment will experience the biggest gains than traditional wood.
- Trex, a high-performance composite is used instead of wood because it resists mold, scratching, staining and rot. Additionally, most of these composites are made using recycled materials, which is an ideal option for consumers who are eco-conscious.
- According to Builder Online, several decking manufacturers have recently switched to traditional wood alternatives such as composite deck boards that are low-maintenance and share the same “look and feel of distressed, rustic hardwood flooring.”
- Manufacturers like Duralife use a technique called ‘hot roll emboss process’ to imprint a wood grain on decking boards, giving the enduring composite, “a variegated texture mimicking the appearance of real wood.”
2. NATURAL BOLD COLORS
- Luxurious color tones blended to match the entire architecture are finding their way into the deck board color options. These rich colors are also available for railing and natural railing shades to facilitate a smooth natural flow in outdoor space.
- Aqua Smoke, Faulkland, Copper Henna, and Carisbad Canyon are examples of trending wood stain colors that blend well with other colors to give the outdoors a natural yet refreshing look with a relaxing feel.
- Other colors anticipated to take hold in outdoor living spaces in 2019, include rich cappuccino, chocolate, and chili pepper. Equally, picture framing options, textured embossing, unique variegation, and fresh railing hues will provide attractive options to contrast these bold colors.
- Companies such as DuraLife now offer color-matched decking board end caps that help to polish the edges of boards and enhance the overall appearance of the deck space. These options are also cost effective compared to traditional “picture framing” options.
1. ROOF TOP DECKING
- Urban areas are now switching to roof top decking to create more usable outdoor spaces. The trend is notable across many new condo and townhouse properties which are incorporating rooftop decks into their designs, especially in areas with aesthetically appealing nature such as water views or other impressive vistas.
- According to Timbertech, the trend of rooftop decking is growing fast, adding a vertical option for urban-dwellers without enough room for expansion. Regarding design and pattern, experts are using pavers to accentuate unique pattered design elements on rooftop spaces.
- Encore, a seven-story apartment building; 4th West, a 500-unit luxurious mixed-use project, and CityScape, a six-story building are examples of urban residential buildings in Salt Lake City with unique roof top decks.
2. CUSTOMIZING RAILINGS — Personal Touches
- Today’s homeowners are seeking to personalize railings and want their decks custom-made to their expectations. Homeowners want decks and rails customized to enable their spaces to speak to and cater to their family’s unique lifestyles.
- A report on LBM Journal notes that homeowners are designing custom decks which gives them a unique space for entertaining, dining and cooking. This is achieved by using materials such as railing to achieve a custom look.
- Lou Maglio, President of Walpole Outdoors noted that homeowners are migrating a lot of the architecture and details you normally see in their home out to the decks and patios. Walpole, for example, is selling pergolas for rooftop decks.
- Personal touches are increasing in popularity as homeowners continue to customize their decks with unique elements including high-end entertainment installations, wrapping columns in stone or glass tiles, and a vast array of outdoor adornments.
To find information on current and emerging trends in decking, railing, and framing, we explored industry reports such as IBIS Research along with reports published by top players in the industry such as Trex. We also examined numerous reports published by news providers specializing in outdoor lifestyle and architecture. To gather the most recent trends, we further sought information from niche specific companies such as Caldecks, a company that specializes in custom decks.
Most of the information uncovered for trends focused either on the design aspect, materials used, and customers tastes and preferences. In this regard, we have included trends that focus on each of those aspects, with some focusing more on decks while others on railings and framing. We also used information uncovered from construction companies such as Builder Online and Building Products.
In determining why each concept qualifies as a current or emerging trend, we checked the frequency with which they are mentioned across the reports we examined. Importantly, we checked what manufacturers such as Trex are saying about them along with the opinions of industry experts such as C-Level managers. Overall, we made sure that each trend is reported by a relevant company, i.e., news agency, construction companies, custom decks companies, decking boards manufacturers, and lumber companies.