The mission statements for Bunge and Cargill both center around the concept of connecting suppliers with consumers. Both companies' statements of purpose pertain to feeding the world. The companies' vision statements differ in that Bunge's focuses on increasing the world's supply of resources, while Cargill's focuses on being the worldwide leader for feeding people.
- Bunge's mission statement is as follows: "We are a commodity-based processing and logistics company that connects farmers with feed, food and retail customers. We strive to continuously improve the food production chain and to deliver high quality products that are safe and competitive."
- The following is Bunge's statement of purpose: "Our purpose is to enhance lives by improving the agribusiness and food production chain."
- Bunge's vision statement is the following: "Food is life. Energy is life. The world will need more food and energy, and natural resources are getting increasingly scarce."
- Cargill's mission statement is as follows: "We bring food, agricultural, financial and industrial products to people who need them all around the world."
- The following is Cargill's statement of purpose: "Our purpose is to nourish the world in a safe, responsible and sustainable way. Every day, we connect farmers with markets, customers with ingredients, and people and animals with the food they need to thrive. We combine our experience with new technologies and insights to serve as a trusted partner for food, agriculture, financial and industrial customers in more than 125 countries."
- Cargill's vision "is to be the global leader in nourishing people."
- At times, Cargill uses the terms purpose and vision interchangeably with regard to the aforementioned vision statement, but the company's CEO referred to that statement as the company's vision in stating the following: "Cargill’s vision of being the global leader in nourishing people comes with a commitment to being responsible."
To find the mission, purpose, and vision statements for both Bunge and Cargill, we began by reviewing the company's websites. We did so to see whether the companies published any or all of those statements on their websites. We were able to find those statements through the companies' websites.