Food Rotation Labels
Food rotation label uses include allergy warnings, proper rotation scheduling, time markings, use-by dates, use-first dates, use-last labels markings, among others. Emerging and current trends include the rise in demand for resealable food labels, dissolvable labels, and a greater emphasis on food rotation label simplification to minimize food waste.
Food Rotation Label Uses and Usage Trends in The US and Canada
Trends and Uses
- Food label use in the hospital goes beyond noting expiration information and includes other details such as allergy warning and nutritional information.
- Dissolvable food rotation labels and smart labeling are becoming increasingly popular in several industries, such as the healthcare industry.
- Water dissolvable food labels are also becoming popular in the food rotation label industry because they have excellent re-use and re-identification application. They also have other advantages such as reduced maintenance of filters and drains, reduced labor for removing labels, easy removal, cost-effectiveness, and easy re-identification of products.
- It also has a wide application on various surfaces such as glass, plastic, stainless steel, among others. In addition, "the application temperature ranges from –40°F to +172°F. The end uses of water dissolvable labels include hand-written with food type, expiry date and other information in restaurants and food industries."
- A current trend in the use of food rotation labels involves the use of bright color labels and labels with unique shapes to ensure the label gets noticed by the food service staff and users. This is particularly important in the healthcare industry where it is critical that medical staff and patients take the correct meal.
- In the United States, confusion over food rotation labels costs families up to $29 billion annually. Consumers tend to throw away food once they pass their "sell by" date even though the food is still safe for consumption. Hence, there is thus an industry-wide push to simplify food labeling in order to reduce food wastage.
- In the restaurant industry, food rotation labels are used to "ensure freshness, eliminate errors, improve traceability and ultimately save time and money."
- An emerging trend in the food rotation label industry is the rise in demand for resealable labels over plastic cups/trays. These labels are great for consumers looking for ready-to-eat meals, soups, vegetables, and fruits that can be eaten intermittently or that can be snacked on at intervals during the day. The labels don't just provide information, but they also serve as a temporary protective cover.
- Food rotation labels that are made with permanent strong adhesive are growing in popularity because save "time, money and significantly reduce the amount of food waste from spoilage."
- In kitchens and universities, they are used to properly mark food they are used to mark the day of the week, use-by dates, use-first dates, and use-last dates by staff.
- Food rotation labels are also important in correctional facilities to ensure foods are well identified and the stock is well rotated in other to prevent prison food sickness that has been an issue in America.
Manufacturers in Canada
- CCL Industries is considered the largest label manufacturer in the world and is headquartered in Toronto, Canada.
- CCL Industries provide all kinds of labels to various industries including Home and Personal Care, Food and Beverage, Retail, Healthcare and Specialty, Automotive, Durable, and the Consumer industry.
- The company has also launched a product called Digimarc Barcode that enables "phones, barcode scanners, cameras, fixed-mount barcode readers and other computer interfaces to swiftly and easily identify items."
- CCL Industries generated revenue of CAD$5.16 billion in 2018.
- The company is valued at $7.88 billion.
- Jet Labels is considered Western Canada's largest label manufacturer.
- It specializes in producing all kinds of labels, tags, and prints, including food rotation labels. They serve various industries, including Food and Beverage, Nutraceutical/Pharmaceutical and Medicals, Forestry, Transportation, and Retail Service industry.
- Jet Labels now provides RFID tags to help improve efficiency for its retail customers.
- While we couldn't determine the value of Jet Labels, our research revealed that they have annual revenue of $25 million.
Manufacturers in the US
- Sato America is a subsidiary of Sato Worldwide with revenue of over $1.05 billion in 2019.
- The company's America headquarters is in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- They produce all kinds of labels including food rotation labels. They are a leader "in barcode printing, labeling, and EPC/RFID solutions."
- The company's food rotation labels include permanent or removable label adhesives.
- As smart labeling continues to gain hold in the industry, Sato America is on top of the trend and has recently launched "smart desktop label printing, thermal industrial printing, and compact mobile printing."
3 Sigma Corporation
- 3 Sigma Corporation specializes in designing and manufacturing adhesive-coated products and headquartered in Troy, Ohio.
- The company operates in the food rotation industry and is one of the key players in the global Water Dissolvable Labels market.
- In line with recent trends of consumers using food delivery apps such as UberEats, Grub Hub, and DoorDash, 3 Sigma Corporation offers innovative tamper-resistant resealable labels that fit perfectly over to-go drink cups or trays made prior to the customer's arrival, assuring customers that their drink has not been tampered with.
- 3 Sigma Corporation has an estimated revenue of $30 million.
Useful Market Insights
- The global consumption of Self-Adhesive Labels in 2016 was 21,018 Million Sq.m and North America accounted for 23.06% of global consumption. Globally, the market was valued at about $38 billion in 2019.
- The US labels market is projected to reach $19.8 billion in 2021, growing at a CAGR of 3.4% annually. About 76% of the market is due to the pressure-sensitive label segment.
Our research team has provided various uses of food rotation labels in the US and Canada and highlighted emerging and current trends where applicable. In particular, our research team focused on finding food rotation label uses that go beyond simply labeling products in the various industries and highlighted them where available.
We primarily relied on industry articles as well as offerings of key players in the industry to understand trends and emerging trends in the industry. While we have provided data on key manufacturers in the industry, the manufacturers identified generally offer other label products aside food rotation products and as such their revenue/value is not just from the food rotation segment. The manufacturers provided are mostly private companies and data on the company's value is unavailable. Hence, we have provided data on revenue in lieu of the data.