Florida Sports Foundation Company Overview
The Florida Sports Foundation was formed in 1992 as the official sports promotion and development organization for the state of Florida.
Overview of the Florida Sports Foundation:
- The foundation was formed in 1992 and is located in Tallahassee, Florida.
- Florida Sports Foundation is a nonprofit organization aimed at bolstering Florida’s sports industry dedicated to serving its athletics community by endorsing the advancement of professional, amateur and recreational sports.
- After 1996 grant programs were established to assist communities and host organizations in attracting sports events.
- Since its inception, the Florida Sports Foundation has been serving as the official sports promotion and development organization for the State of Florida, providing one-of-a -kind industry opportunities in the state that are supported by top-notch industry leadership.
- Since 2013, the foundation has awarded 486 grants, totaling $11,383,100.
- Since 2017, the foundation is looking to improve its retention of sporting events and sports-related business opportunities.
- The foundation is also supporting the creation of jobs through sports tourism and development.
- The Foundation wants to continue its support for amateur, professional and recreational sports and sporting opportunities throughout its footprint.
- Angela Adams Suggs serves as the third President & CEO since August 7, 2017.
- Charlotte Cowen serves as the Director of Administrative Affairs. He is in charge of budgets, contracts, corporate policies, accounts receivable and payable, audits. He also administers the license tag revenue program and manages the grant program.
- Jason Hendrix is the Director of Communications. As a member of the senior administrative team, Jason Hendrix implements the media relations and marketing efforts for all sports tourism and development on behalf of the State of Florida.
- Michelle Roque serves as the Director of Finance, Erica Manz as the Finance Manager, and Melissa Estremera as the Finance and Grant Coordinator.
- Jacqueline Hightower is the Director of External Affairs.
- Liese Abili serves as the Director of Sports Development while Demetrius Burse is the Executive Assistant to the President & CEO.
- Marvin E. Green, Jr. serves as the Vice President of Amateur Sports while Karissa Pendleton works as the Event Manager.
- Nick Gandy serves as the Communications Consultant.
- Amanda Ford and Corey Dunnom works as Event Coordinators for Operations.
Publicly available financial data about the company
- The Florida professional sports team license brings $2.5 million to the FSF every year.
- The federation generated $200,000 in general revenue for 2013, 2014, and 2015.
- In total, the FSF averaged $4.5 million per year in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
- The average grant amount for 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16 was approximately $15,000.
Annual or major events:
- Every year, the Florida Sports Foundation organizes the Florida Senior Games Local Series Qualifiers in Florida, which lead to the Florida Senior Games in December.
- The senior games aim to encourage and promote healthy lifestyles for Florida’s seniors and provides all senior Florida citizens with an affordable and quality multi-sport festival.
- The Florida Sports Foundation also sponsors the Sunshine State Games in Florida, providing over 30 sports that are recognized by the Olympic Governing Body.
- Florida Sports also held the 2018 Governor’s Baseball Dinner to celebrate the opening of spring training in Florida.
- Their grants programs include FSF Major Grant Program, the Regional Grant Program (primarily amateur sport events), the Small Market Grant Program, and the Amateur Sports Programs (Sunshine State Games and Florida Senior Games).
- The grant requests are evaluated based on the economic impact related to the number of out-of-state participants and spectators.