Bicycle/Pedestrian Vehicles US
The United States has an estimated 86.21 million pedestrian bicycles, of which 86.15 million are owned and over 57,000+ are "station-based bike share bikes".
Number of Pedestrian Bicycles in the United States
- There are approximately 86.21 million pedestrian bicycles in the United States.
- There are approximately 86.15 million owned pedestrian bicycles in the United States.
- At the end of 2018, there were 57,000+ "station-based bike share bikes" in the United States.
- According to the most recent American Community Survey, 872,000 people (or 0.6% workers) commute to work by bike.
- In 2018, there were 84 million shared micromobility trips taken in the United States; 36.5 million on "station-based bike share systems", 38.5 million on shared e-scooters, and 9 million on dockless share bikes.
- The aforementioned micromobility statistics have been published by the National Association of City Transportation Officials and only account for systems operating "more than 150 vehicles" in the top 100 cities of the US by population.
- According to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, there were "3,378 bike-share stations operating in 104 US cities" in 2017.
Calculations for Number of Pedestrian Bicycles
The number of households in the United States: 128.58 million
% of households with a mountain bicycle: 40%
% of households with a road bicycle: 24%
% of households with a cruiser: 16%
% of households with a city bicycle: 15%
% of households with a BMX bicycle: 13%
% of households with a kids bicycle: 10%
% of households with a hybrid bicycle: 6%
% of households with a fixie/ single-speed bicycle: 3%
% of households with a folding bicycle: 2%
% of households with an e-bike: 1%
% of households with other type of bicycle: 3%
Mountain bicycles, BMX bicycles, kids bikes, and other types of bikes are non-pedestrian type bicycles.
Total percentage excluding non-pedestrian bikes = 67% (this accounts for households with more than one bike)
Therefore, the total number of owned pedestrian bicycles = 67% * 128.58 million = 86.15 million
The total number of "station-based bike share bikes" = 57,000+
Total number of pedestrian bicycles (owned+shared) = 86.15 million + 57,000+ = 86.21 million