Fleet Vehicles in US: Average Purchase Costs
Based on the purchase costs of Class 1 and Class 2 fleet vehicles from popular brands including Ford and Chevrolet, calculations show that the average purchase cost of Class 1 fleet vehicles in the US is $29,007 while that of Class 2 vehicles is $32,363.
Class 1 Fleet Vehicles
- Class 1 vehicles are vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 6,000 pounds, such as sedans and sport-utility vehicles (SUVs).
- The 2020 Ford Escape is an SUV fleet brand that starts at $24,885.
- The 2020 Chevrolet Equinox is a compact SUV that starts at $26,300.
- GMC's 2019 Acadia is a highly maneuverable midsize SUV that starts at $32,800.
- The 2020 Chrysler Voyager is an SUV from FCA that starts at $32,045.
- Therefore, based on the prices above, the average purchase cost of Class 1 fleet vehicles in the US is about $29,007.
Class 2 Fleet Vehicles
- Class 2 vehicles are vehicles with a GVWR range of 6,001 to 10,000 pounds, such as utility vans.
- The 2020 Ford Cargo Van is a utility van fleet with a GVWR range from 8,670 to 10,360 pounds. It starts at $34,510.
- The 2019 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van has a GVWR range of 8,600 to 9,900 pounds. It starts at $31,900.
- GMC's Savana Cargo Van, with GVWR range from 8,600 to 9,900 pounds, starts at $31,900.
- The Ram Pro Master is a utility van with a GVWR range of 8,550 to 9,350 pounds. It starts at $31,145.
- Therefore, based on the prices above, the average purchase cost of Class 2 fleet vehicles in the US is about $32,363.
To address this request, we searched through media and industry sources for the average purchase cost of Class 1 and Class 2 fleet vehicles in the United States but immediately found that such information was not readily available. Hence, we resorted to triangulating the average from Class 1 and Class 2 fleet vehicle costs as provided by popular brands. We then attempted to find the popular brands in this space but wasn't successful, as we could not find any industry source, media article or blog post that identifies the popular brands in the US fleet vehicle space. As a way around, we surmised that popular brands would have a strong online presence and so, would be easily identified by being highly listed in the public domain. Moreover, to corroborate this, these brands are listed by Statista as key automakers in the US fleet vehicle space. With this, we identified Ford, GMC, Chevrolet, and FCA's Ram.
From these brands, we obtained the purchase costs for their Class 1 fleet vehicles in the US and determined the average purchase cost as follows: [($24,885 + $26,300 + $32,800 + $32,045) / 4 = $29,007].