English Usage: Finland
As of 2018, out of 88 countries worldwide, Finland had the eighth-highest rating on the English Proficiency Index. It is the sixth-most proficient English-speaking country in Europe. However, English is the mother tongue of less than 1% of the population, and it is not a primary language for mainstream media outlets or in e-commerce concerns in Finland.
ENGLISH USAGE IN FINLAND
ENGLISH PROFICIENCY LEVEL IN FINLAND
- As of 2018, out of 88 countries worldwide, Finland had the eighth-highest rating on the English Proficiency Index.
- It is the sixth-most proficient English-speaking country in Europe.
- The EFI ranks the people of Finland as very highly proficient English speakers. Most Finns can use nuanced and appropriate language in social situations, read advanced texts with ease, and negotiate a contract with a native English speaker.
- Around 70% of the Finnish population speak English with varying degrees of proficiency.
ENGLISH AS A MOTHER TONGUE OR SECOND LANGUAGE
- While around 70% of the Finnish population speak English, almost all of them speak it as a second language.
- People that have a native language other than Finnish or Swedish account for only about 4.5% of the population. English is still a subset of this population. The other languages are Russian, Estonian, Arabian and Somali.
- Only 0.57% of people in Finland speak English as a mother tongue.
- However, foreign language skills for languages other than English are dropping in popularity in Finland, and have been dropping for quite some time.
USE OF ENGLAND IN FINNISH ADVERTISING AND MEDIA
- The Finns' use of English in their advertising and media generally mirrors the behavior when it comes to speaking the language. Apart from a few international-standard online publications and places that are known to be tourist attractions, websites for mainstream news corporations in Finland (such as Uutiset or Kauppalehti) or popular e-commerce sites (Verkkokauppa and Zalando) load entirely in Finnish and need to be translated.
- A leading marketing services company that provides e-commerce solutions to businesses looking to expand to places like Finland sell "translation and localization" services to those businesses, signifying that English-speaking web stores may not completely fit in Finland without translation services.