Demographics : Shopping Channel vs Estee Lauder
We have found the demographics of Estee Lauder on the basis of age, race, annual income, educational background, and whether they are parents or not. We were unsuccessful in locating any demographic data about the Shopping Channel. After an exhaustive search, we concluded that the demographic data for the Shopping Channel has not been made available. Therefore, no comparison between the demographics of these two e-commerce sites is possible.
CUSTOMER DEMOGRAPHICS FOR ESTEE LAUDER
- 20.49% of customers of Estee Lauder are under 24 years of age.
- 24.45% of customers of Estee Lauder are 25-34 years of age.
- 12.00% of customers of Estee Lauder are 35-44 years of age.
- 10.54% of customers of Estee Lauder are 45-54 years of age.
- 12.73% of customers of Estee Lauder are 55-64 years of age.
- 19.76% of customers of Estee Lauder are over 65 years of age.
- 10.44% of customers of Estee Lauder are African American.
- 69.79% of customers of Estee Lauder are Asian.
- 10.89% of customers of Estee Lauder are Caucasian.
- 16.86% of customers of Estee Lauder are Hispanic.
- 13.81% of customers of Estee Lauder earn under $20,000.
- 16.52% of customers of Estee Lauder earn $20,000-40,000.
- 12.82% of customers of Estee Lauder earn $40,000-60,000.
- 11.96% of customers of Estee Lauder earn $60,000-80,000.
- 12.82% of customers of Estee Lauder earn $80,000-100,000.
- 16.66% of customers of Estee Lauder earn $100,000-125,000.
- 15.38% of customers of Estee Lauder earn over $125,000.
- 23.72% of customers of Estee Lauder have no college degree.
- 26.42% of customers of Estee Lauder have a college degree.
- 49.84% of customers of Estee Lauder have an advanced college degree.
CUSTOMER DEMOGRAPHICS INSIGHTS FOR THE SHOPPING CHANNEL
- According to SaleCycle, "62% of Canadians will prefer to purchase products from Canadian retailers, instead of U.S. retailers."
- 61% of e-commerce shoppers prefer to pay by credit card with PayPal being the second most favored payment option (21% of users).
- The Shopping Channel is Canada's 5th-largest online retailer based on total online sales in North America.
- 27% of e-commerce users spend on beauty products, with average cart value being $79.
- The Shopping Channel is a member of the CJ affiliate network.
- After its recent re-branding in 2017, the Shopping Channel is targeting women under the age of forty-five in its Instagram ad campaigns.
- The Shopping Channel was founded in 1987.
- The Shopping Channel runs a joint venture with Pour Moi Skincare, which provides climate-based Eco-friendly skincare and beauty products.
- The Shopping Channel is Canada's only nationally televised shopping channel.
To calculate the percentage of customers, we added the number of customers in each demographic and then calculated the individual percentage using the sum. For example, in the age demographic, the sum of all the people in the sample space is 683. The number of customers between the ages of 25 and 34 is 167. Therefore, the related percentage of customers ages 25-34 is (167/683)*100=24.45%.
We weren't able to find the demographics of the Shopping Channel. Even after exhaustive research, we weren't able to locate any sources that might have even a related data point.
We started our strategy to look for the demographics of the Shopping Channel by scouring established databases and statistical data sources. Our hope was to find sources that will have pre-compiled demographic data or data points from which we can work out demographic data. These databases did offer a lot of articles and sources on the business models of teleshopping, as well as studies on why consumers purchase through teleshopping. However, no studies pertaining to demographics of the Shopping Channel were found.
We then turned our attention to market reports, sales data, and consumer surveys related to the Shopping Channel. We hoped to gain insights into these statistics and triangulate the demographics ourselves. However, we couldn't find anything which gave us enough relevant details to triangulate the demographics ourselves. We did find an official release on the Rogers Media website, which is the parent company of the Shopping Channel. The release claimed that the Shopping Channel is the only national televised teleshopping channel of Canada.
After not finding anything with the above two strategies, we expanded the search criteria and included the demographics for the entire Canadian teleshopping industry. Except for one source with limited statistics on Canadian e-commerce, we couldn't locate any other source related to statistics on Canadian teleshopping.
After a thorough and exhaustive search, we have concluded that data and statistics relating to demographics of the Shopping Channel have not been made public by the company and neither have there been any surveys/studies to gauge the demographics for the Shopping Channel.