Core Products or UX Initiatives/Announcements - Cisco
Cisco's Customer Experience (CX) team is involved in virtually every level of Cisco's operations, seeking to streamline and maximize Cisco's products and services' User Experience (UX). Below are the highlights from 2019 along with the associated audience/key technologies for each announcement.
Cisco Speaker at 2020 Conference
- Cisco Senior UX Researcher Kathryn Parke will be giving a lecture at the May 2020 ConvayUX.
- ConvayUX is a user experience-oriented conference in Seattle hosted by Blink.
- The focus of Kathryn Parke's speech will be B2B collaboration.
- Kathryn Parke has hinted that the focus of the talk may be the intersection between biomimicry and collaboration.
- Target Audience: UX developers
- Key Technology: Unspecified UX development strategy
December Announcement of Integrated Future Strategy
- Cisco began hinting at something it calls the "Internet for the Future" in early December.
- The first component of this multi-year initiative is a new "Silicon One" programmable silicon networking chip.
- The chip represents the beginning of what looks to be a massive push into flexible infrastructure products by Cisco that will likely affect the company's entire strategy, including UX, over the next several years.
- Target Audience: Infrastructure professionals
- Key Technology: Silicon One
Publicizing a "Kinetic for Cities" Project
- In December 2019, Cisco publicized a partnership between NWN Corporation and the Town of Cary, NC.
- NWN partnered with the leadership of Cary, NC to implement a broad range of communication, analytical, and tracking solution using Cisco's Kinetic for Cities technologies.
- An accessible user experience was emphasized by all participants in the project.
- Target Audience: Municipal/local governments
- Key Technology: Kinetic for Cities
Cisco Extends its Collaboration with Microsoft
- In November 2019, Cisco announced the extension and expansion of its collaboration with Microsoft to integrate Cisco's Webex technology with Microsoft Teams.
- The collaboration includes integrating Webex technologies into Microsoft's ubiquitous Office 365 suite.
- The collaboration is intended to improve security while creating a better user experience for all products involved.
- Target Audience: office/conferencing professionals
- Key Technology: Webex/Microsoft Office Suite
Announcing a New Webex Security Pack
- In September 2019, Cisco announced the new "Cisco Webex Control Hub Extended Security Pack."
- While technically a security package, pains were made to emphasize the positive user experience associated with this service, as negative UX are common with increased security services.
- Customer testimonials show that "the Cloudlock CASB functionality is very easy to deploy and it provides critical data loss prevention for the internal and external spaces. This allowed to deliver a great user experience on an open, modern collaboration platform while still protecting important files and content."
- Target Audience: Networking professionals
- Key Technology: Webex(security)
Intention to Buy CloudCherry
- In August 2019, Cisco announced its intention to acquire CloudCherry.
- CloudCherry designs predictive analytics and software for mapping customer experiences.
- Cisco has announced its intention to integrate CloudCherry's technology into Cisco's Contact Center and Cognitive Collaboration suites.
- Target Audience: Investors/UX developers
- Key Technology: Webex/Contact Center/Cognitive Collaboration
Intention to Buy Voicea
- In August 2019, Cisco announced its intention to acquire Voicea, a telepresence and conferencing firm.
- Cisco intends to integrate Voicea's technology into Webex, Cisco's primer collaboration suite.
- Along with AI integration, security, and document sharing, the user experience of Webex is one of Cisco's primary focuses as a part of its Cognitive Collaboration services.
- Target Audience: Investors/conferencing professionals
- Key Technology: Webex
UX Research Team's Open Call for a Study
- On July 30th, 2019, Cisco initiated an open call for "Network, Security, and Data Center IT" professionals to participate in a study.
- The study was conducted by Cisco's User Experience Research Team.
- The study offered a chance to win a $100 gift cards or make donations of the awards to select charities.
- It ran until August 12th.
- No specific technology or feature was indicated in the study.
- Target Audience: IT and tech professionals
- Key Technology: An unannounced UX technology
Acquisition of Sentryo
- In June 2019 Cisco announced its intention to acquire Sentryo, an Internet of Things (IoT) company.
- Sentryo's was a Lyon, France-based company that offered industrial and manufacturing sensors such as the "Edge Sensor," technology that Cisco has already integrated into its automation solutions.
- Sentryo's technology will impact the user experience of Cisco's industrial and manufacturing clients as well as the IoT user experience.
- The Sentryo acquisition was completed on August 8th, 2019.
- Target Audience: Investors/industrial companies
- Key Technology: Edge Sensors
Reflecting on a Rapid Development Project in 2018
- In February 2019 Cisco completed a major project with Rakuten Mobile Network to build a 5G-ready cloud-native mobile network in 8 months.
- Cisco CEO Chuck Robbins gave a keynote speech at MWC19 (a networking-oriented conference) about the key roles of collaboration and customer experience-oriented design in the project.
- Target Audience: Networking developers
- Key Technology: Rakuten's new cloud mobile network