Filipino and African Grocery Stores and Restaurants
Popular Filipino and African grocery stores and restaurants in the New York City area include Phil-Am Foods, Maharlika, Keita West African Market, and Injera. Since the request did not specify if a compiled top ten list of all the Filipino/African grocery stores and restaurants was needed or if separate lists for each category were expected, our researchers have found the top four Filipino grocery stores in NYC (only four were found within the area) as well as the top ten Filipino restaurants, the top ten African grocery stores, and the top ten African restaurants in NYC per Yelp and Facebook ratings.
POPULAR FILIPINO GROCERY STORES
The most popular Filipino grocery stores in NYC, or those that received ratings of four stars and above on Yelp, are:
1. Phil-Am Foods, located in Woodside. Phil-Am Foods provides Filipino canned goods, baked goods, snacks, and ready-to-eat cooked meals for its customers. It is known for being inexpensive and having a good selection.
This grocery store is located at 7002 Roosevelt Ave, Woodside, NY 11372.
2. Johnny Air Mart is located in the East Village and is known for having hard-to-find Filipino grocery items. Though the prices are higher than the other markets on this list, Johnny Air Mart has a wide selection of Filipino goods, including banana leaves, banana ketchup, Calamansi extract, and Patis fish sauce, among others.
This grocery store is located at 214 Ave A, New York, NY 10009.
3. Sariling Atin, found in Elmhurst, is an inexpensive Filipino grocery store that includes a reasonably priced eatery inside the store. Junk food, pastries, and desserts can be found in this market. Customers have noted that although the grocery potion of the store is relatively sparse, the eatery is well worth the visit.
This grocery store is located at 89-12 Queens Blvd, Elmhurst, NY 11373.
4. Asia Market is not specifically a Filipino grocery store, but customer reviews note that it is a great southeast Asian grocery store. Since the Philippines are located in southeast Asia, Asia Market is included in this list. The grocery store is located in Gramercy and includes Filipino grocery items such as ingredients, snacks, sausages, and condiments.
This grocery store is located at 214 3rd Ave, New York, NY 10003.
POPULAR FILIPINO RESTAURANTS
According to Yelp, the top 10 most popular Filipino restaurants are:
1. Maharlika, located in the East Village, serves high-quality authentic Filipino food at reasonable prices. Customers have noted great service, flavorful foods, and a number of different food options.
This restaurant is located at 111 1st Ave, New York, NY 10003.
2. Pig and Khao, a restaurant in the Lower East Side, provides a quaint, laid-back atmosphere with quality food that is cooked to perfection. Selections include pork belly, coconut rice, lamb lettuce wraps, half Hainanese duck, and ramen noodles. Bottomless brunch options are offered on Saturdays.
This restaurant is located at 68 Clinton St, New York, NY 10002.
3. Jeepney is located in the East Village and provides a number of Filipino selections, including banana ketchup ribs, crab fat fried rice, longsilog sausages, and chori burgers.
This restaurant is located at 201 1st Ave, New York, NY 10003.
4. Tito Rad’s Grill, a restaurant in Woodside, promises exotic flavors and generous portions. Selections include lumpia spring rolls, pork sisig, kebabs, avocado shakes, melon juice, and pancit palabok.
This restaurant is located at 49-10 Queens Blvd, Woodside, NY 11377.
5. Ugly Kitchen is located in the East Village and offers excellent customer service and attentive servers. The chef offers daily specials, including grilled panga ng tuna and crispy pata pig knuckles. Customers noted a very trendy vibe inside the restaurant, and many customers enjoy the happy hour specials provided by Ugly Kitchen.
This restaurant is located at 103 1st Ave, New York, NY 10003.
6. Flip Sigi offers Filipino-American styles of food with a Mexican twist. Their specialties include the flip-n-out burger, the Cali burrito, and the fried chicken sandwich. There is also a takeout section available as well. The restaurant is in the West Village.
This restaurant is located at 525 Hudson St, New York, NY 10014.
7. Grill 21 is a Gramercy restaurant that offers a quaint atmosphere with great food. Selections include singang na baboy, garlic rice, halo halo, and lumpiang Shanghai.
This restaurant is located at 346 E 21st St, New York, NY 10010.
8. Lumpia Shack Snackbar is a small eatery located in the West Village. They offer pork lumpia, braised adobo pork ribs, halo halo, and pinakbet bowl. A large portion of the menu items range from $12-$15.
This restaurant is located at 50 Greenwich Ave, New York, NY 10011.
9. Fob Brooklyn is located in Gowanus and offers a cozy feel with home-style cooking and attentive servers. Selections include chicken adobo, beef ribs, garlic rice, and halo halo.
This restaurant is located at 271 Smith St, Brooklyn, NY 11231.
10. Purple Yam is found in Flatbush and offers such selections as bibimbap, jap chae, halo halo, and pork sparerib adobo. Customers have noted the friendly staff and owners as well as the excellent quality of food.
This restaurant is located at 1314 Cortelyou Rd, Brooklyn, NY 11226.
POPULAR AFRICAN GROCERY STORES
The most popular African grocery stores per Yelp and Facebook reviews are:
1. Keita West African Market is located in Bushwick and offers grocery items, cosmetic supplies, and organic foods. Customers report a great selection of traditional, quality products.
This grocery store is located at 1225 Broadway, Brooklyn, NY 11221.
2. AB International Market is located in Fordham and offers everything from goat meat to kobi to Titus brand sardines. The market also offers a selection of traditional African clothing items as well as money transfer services and international calling services.
This grocery store is located at 2235 Jerome Ave, New York, NY 10453.
3. Royal Am African Market is located in Melrose and offers quality African grocery products. It is near a meat market and stores specializing in fruit and vegetable arrangements.
This grocery store is located at 871 Elton Ave, Bronx, NY 10451.
4. Eddie's Place African Food Products is located in Concourse and offers great prices and a wide selection of products. Professional and friendly customer service is promised, and the store often advertises for events on their Facebook page, such as community Thanksgiving dinners and Black Friday sales.
This grocery store is located at 5 E 167th St, Bronx, NY 10452.
5. Co-Op City African Market is located in Baychester. Customers report a clean, organized store with a wide selection of items, despite the small area. Food, snacks, soaps, and fabric are a few of the items that are available.
This grocery store is located at 2829 Edison Ave, Ste E Bronx, NY 10469.
6. Ecowas African Food Market is a Brooklyn food market specializing in African and Caribbean foods. They sell fresh bread, goat meat, smoked turkey, pounded yam, and African peanuts, among other such foods.
This grocery store is located at 1292 Sutter Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11208.
7. Sweet Home African Grocery is an African/Caribbean market located in the Bronx. They sell African grocery items, soaps, bitters, and pomade. Fried fish, bread, palm oil, fante kenkey, and shito are a few items that this grocery store sells.
This grocery store is located at 15 Bedford Park Blvd E, Bronx, NY 10468.
8. Unity African Market is an African supermarket located in the Bronx. The store offers money transfers, domestic bill payments, and family links as well as a small selection of grocery items.
This grocery store is located at 60 E 174th St, Bronx, NY 10452.
9. African Market is located in Brooklyn near Duck Island. It is near other grocery stores such as Food Pyramid, Foodtown, and United Meat Market. No other information was provided.
This grocery store is located at 210 Parkside Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11226.
10. Eghe African Market is located in Brooklyn and offers grocery services as well as general merchandise. No other information was provided.
This grocery store is located at 1782 Pitkin Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11212.
POPULAR AFRICAN RESTAURANTS
Based on the most high-rated reviews on Yelp, the most popular African restaurants in NYC are:
1. Injera is a small Ethiopian bar/restaurant located in the East Village. Customers report excellent customer service and flavorful food. The restaurant provides a large selection of drinks and wines as well as such selections as lentil puff pastry, Ethiopian tea, and a number of meat/vegetable combinations.
This restaurant is located at 11 Abingdon Sq, New York, NY 10014.
2. Ghenet Brooklyn is an African restaurant located in Gowanus. This restaurant offers tej (Ethiopian honey wine), Ethiopian coffee, sambusa, injera, and doro wett. The food is often heavily spiced and flavorful.
This restaurant is located at 348 Douglass St, Brooklyn, NY 11217.
3. Bunna Cafe is located in East Williamsburg and offers fast service, fresh food, vegan options, and fair prices. They serve injera, gomen, yater kik alicha, and unique vegan dishes such as beets, mushroom tibs, and the occasional seasonal dish.
This restaurant is located at 1084 Flushing Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11237.
4. Nomad is found in the East Village and offers African, Moroccan, and traditional American food. Lamb chops, monk fish, Moroccan mint tea, homemade lamb merguez, and goat cheese pizza are a few of the selections provided at this restaurant.
This restaurant is located at 78 2nd Ave, New York, NY 10003.
5. Kaia Wine Bar is an African tapas style restaurant located in the Upper East Side. Selections that are offered here include elk carpaccio, gebakte suurlemoene, rooibos tee en bosbessie vark ribbetjies, and viskoekie sliders.
This restaurant is located at 1614 3rd Ave, New York, NY 10128.
6. Cafe Rue Dix is a French/Senegalese restaurant in Crown Heights. The restaurant offers a warm and cozy atmosphere with western African music and authentic Senegalese food. Fast service and reasonable prices are promised, and selections include tche bou djen, vegetable tagine, and thiebou djeun.
This restaurant is located at 1451 Bedford Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11216.
7. Joloff Restaurant is a Senegalese/Halal restaurant located in Bedford-Stuyvesant. They offer fish pastels, thiebou ganar, thiou kanja ganar, and thiebou djeun. Delivery options are also available.
This restaurant is located at 1168 Bedford Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11216.
8. Safari Restaurant NYC is located in Harlem and offers authentic African cuisine with flavors of east Indian cuisine. Selections include sambusa, sabayaad, hilil arib, curry, goat stew, and suquars. Customers report bold flavors and good service.
This restaurant is located at 219 W 116th St, New York, NY 10026.
9. Awash Brooklyn is an Ethiopian restaurant located in Cobble Hill. Customers report a laid-back atmosphere as well as friendly and helpful servers. Sambusas, goden tibs, kategna, and tire kitfo are a few of their selections.
This restaurant is located at 242 Court St, Brooklyn, NY 11201.
10. Buka New York is an African/Halal restaurant and bar located in Clinton Hill. Selections include pounded-yam fufu, fish soup, ginger juice, among many other Nigerian dishes. Customers report good food but less-than-ideal service. Many customers have claimed that service is slow, many servers are not helpful or attentive, and occasionally the food arrives cold.
This restaurant is located at 946 Fulton St, Brooklyn, NY 11238.
In conclusion, there are a number of Filipino and African grocery stores and restaurants in New York City, but this list provides the top selections of each one per Yelp ratings and Facebook reviews. While only four Filipino grocery stores were found in the area, our researchers have compiled a list of the top ten Filipino restaurants, African restaurants, and African grocery stores.