False Lash Trends, Pt 1
The global false eyelash industry is expected to grow by $364 million between 2019 and 2023 due to a high consumer demand for lash extension products. Two recent trends related to the use of false eyelashes are customizable lashes and embellished lashes. False eyelash styles are becoming bolder and more dramatic.
Customizable False Eyelashes
- According to Business Wire, a 2019-2023 market report mentions customizable lashes as an emerging trend in the false eyelash industry.
- Consumers' unique personal tastes and individual needs drive the demand for customizable beauty products. Mass-produced beauty products have historically forced some consumers to settle for a close-enough product that might not fully meet their needs.
- Mixing and matching different eyelash styles can create a more unique look. For example, the "salt and pepper" false eyelash trend of 2018 involved mixing black lashes with white lashes to create a highlight effect and the illusion of an even fuller lash line.
- One brand selling customizable false eyelashes is Velour. Consumers can choose a round or flared shape, straight or crisscrossed pattern, and a full or wispy design. Lashes are available in 9 mm, 11 mm, or 15 mm lengths, and shoppers can select either a black or invisible band.
- Urban Decay's Urban Lash product offers ten different styles of "cluster lashes" so consumers can fully customize their look. Styles include xriss xross, airwaves, and thunderbird.
- MAC Cosmetics offers its 30 Lash product that gives consumers a set of individual lashes in three different lengths so they can build their own eyelash look.
- House of Lashes allows shoppers to create custom 3-packs of their favorite false eyelash styles. Choices include a mix of faux-mink, classic, and premium styles like Au Naturale, Siren Flare, and Temptress Wispy.
Embellished False Eyelashes
- The recent embellished lashes trend features the incorporation of feathers, neon colors, glitter, or extreme lengths into false eyelashes. Celebrities like Gigi Hadid, Lady Gaga, and Priyanka Chopra rocked the look at the 2019 Met Gala and during Fashion Week.
- The dramatic look is reminiscent of "London 1950s [and] 1960s street style." Fashion trends continue to evolve into bolder, edgier styles that take bits of inspiration from the past.
- Ardell's Wild Lash Sparkles product allows consumers to create a "dramatic jeweled effect" using false eyelashes. The company also makes a multicolored false eyelash with a feathered appearance called the Just For Fun Wild Lash in Breezy.
- Sugar Pill Cosmetics offers several embellished false eyelash styles including a dramatic black and purple lash called Angel Baby. Another example is Baby Dewdrop, which features jewels that look like tiny drops of water.
- Inglot Cosmetics sells an assortment of multicolored and feathered false eyelashes. It also makes decorated eyelashes that feature tinsel, glitter, and rhinestones.
- Elegant Lashes offers embellished false eyelash styles that include feathered, neon, decorated, and glow-in-the-dark.