Fabric Softener Purchase Motivations
Consumers will check on the content and ingredients; they will also look at what is in them and what makes them special in order to make a purchase. After finding the alternatives, they will evaluate the options and then make a choice; their choices are best on many factors like brand, type, quantity, loads, quantity per load, scent, residue, high-efficiency, easy-to-use among others. Fragrance, ease of ironing, and reduction of stiffness on clothes are three motivators of fabric softener purchase in the United States.
- Consumers will first look at the need of whether they really like to have a fabric softener and whether they will need it in their laundry.
- They also tend to look at the necessity — does it really bring a solution to a problem they have.
INFORMATION SEARCHING AND PROCESSING
- Consumers will check on the content and ingredients. They will also look at what is in them and what makes them special.
- Consumers seek information to check for the alternative but serving the same purpose.
- They will check if the fabric softener meets their needs, including things like making their clothes soft, reducing statics on clothes, the fragrance, and whether it makes ironing easier.
- Consumers do this by checking the information provided on the commercials run on adverts, and they read product reviews.
IDENTIFICATION AND EVALUATION OF ALTERNATIVES
- Consumers identify the alternatives by checking on detergents with actual fabric softeners, vs liquid fabric softeners. They also check on information regarding the dryer sheet.
- After finding the alternatives, they will evaluate the options and then make a choice. Their choices are best on many factors like brand, type, quantity, loads, quantity per load, scent, residue, high-efficiency, easy-to-use, durable freshness, eliminates bad odors, softens fabric, reduce wrinkles, ready-to-wear, and hypoallergenic.
- Some consumers will also consider cost.
- When it comes to purchasing the fabric softener — some factors need to be put in place like labeling and ease of finding the product display.
MOTIVATIONS CONSUMER HAVE FOR SELECTING A FABRIC SOFTENER TO PURCHASE
- Reduces fabric stiffness: if you dry your clothes — makes clothes have a soft feeling.
- Easier ironing: fabric softener can help to straighten out the fibers in your clothing and make them easier to iron.
- Smells nice: fragrance in fabric softeners are some things that motivate the purchase. It leaves a refreshing smell on clothes.
- Wrinkles will be eliminated: consumers will have an easier time getting wrinkles out of their clothes.
- According to Karen Alexander, fabric softeners have a lot of harmful chemical substances like QUATS — quaternary ammonium compounds — which is linked to Asthma.
- Another chemical is benzyl acetate — which has been linked to pancreatic cancer.
- Fabric softener is harmful to the environment and has the potential to contaminate the air we breathe.
THE IMPACT ON SELECTION
- Due to the health risk presented above, most consumers will prefer the other alternatives to fabric softeners since fabric softeners are posing a health risk to its users.
- Some alternatives are adding a quarter or half cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle of a fabric softener.
- Avoiding over-drying clothes will also reduce stiffness.
- "Wool dryer balls are a natural — chemical-free alternative to traditional liquid softeners and dryer sheets". The wool balls eliminate static, cut the drying time by 8-10 minutes, soften clothes, and help to heat the dryer faster.