Whiplash Market Size
- The market size for the treatment of whiplash associated disorder in the United States is between $29 billion and $30 billion annually.
- American spending on whiplash treatment has grown nearly eight-fold over the last two decades, up from $3.9 billion as of 2001.
- Approximately 3 million Americans currently experience a whiplash-related injury every year, with nearly half (1.5 million Americans) suffering from chronic pain as a result of the injury, while one-tenth (300,000) become disabled.
The research team has provided the market size associated with the treatment of whiplash associated disorder in the US. As readily available, the research team has complemented this data with both (1) a historic perspective of how this industry has expanded in size and (2) alternative metrics for understanding the scale of the industry.
US Whiplash Treatment Market in Dollars
- The market size associated with the treatment of whiplash associated disorder in the United States is approximately $29 billion annually, according to car accident and personal injury law firm Gemma Law.
- This estimate appears to be corroborated by medical trade MedicineNet and the latest available reporting from medical consultancy MKC Medical Management, which state that Americans spend $30 billion per year to "manage and treat whiplash-related injuries."
- Notably, the current level of spending on the treatment of whiplash in America has grown nearly eight-fold over the last two decades, up from $3.9 billion as of 2001, according to The American Journal of Medicine.
Additional Market Sizing Data
- Approximately 3 million Americans currently experience a whiplash-related injury every year, according to the Spine Research Institute of San Diego.
- Notably, this figure from the Spine Research Institute of San Diego is widely referenced at present by both medical practitioners (e.g., Brookdale Health) and personal injury law firms (e.g., Sobo & Sobo Injury Lawyers) as the leading estimate for whiplash injuries in the country.
- Among those injured with whiplash every year in the US, nearly half (1.5 million Americans) suffer from chronic pain while one-tenth (300,000) become disabled.
- According to legal trade AllLaw, these more "serious cases" of whiplash associated disorder may cost $30,000 or more in treatment per patient.
For this research on the American whiplash treatment market, the research team leveraged the most reputable sources of information available in the public domain, including publications by medical journals/trades (e.g., The American Journal of Medicine, MedicineNet), personal injury law firms (e.g., Gemma Law, Sobo & Sobo Injury Lawyers) and medical companies (e.g., MKC Medical Management, Brookdale Health). In select cases, somewhat dated information was included to offer either (1) historical context or (2) corroboration for key data points.