US Employers by Employee Count
- According to NAICS Association, 1,220,349 companies have between 1,000 and 10,000 employees.
- 600,947 companies have over 20,000.
- Walmart and Amazon have the greatest number of employees in the US: 2.3 million and 1.29 million, respectively.
The information presented below has been calculated using data gathered from various sources. Although the data for these different employee size segments are not readily available, the research team has conducted thorough research to bring together the findings presented below. The research paths attempted and the assumptions made have been presented in the Research Strategy section at the end of this report.
US Employers by Employee Count
- The United States Census Bureau recently released data that has been presented in this spreadsheet. The original table was downloaded from the site's database. Although the data was for 2018, this table was published on May 28, 2021. The image below is a snippet of the relevant data.
- To get the total number of companies that have between 1,000 and 10,000 employees, we will provide the summation of rows 05 to 09 of both columns:
- We will first add all the firms that fall under the categories of the employee ranges: 3,375+1,677+1,029+2,039+1,088=9,208
- Next, we will add all the establishments that fall under the categories of the employee ranges:
- Finally, we add the two: 9,208+445,096=454,304
- According to this table, the next data range is between 10,000 and 20,000.
- We will simply add the two columns with corresponding data:
- The number of companies with over 20,000 employees is 537+600,410=600,947
- The chart below represents the top US companies by employee count.
- Additionally, this ranking of the top companies in the US and this Forbes list also corroborate the table above. Walmart and Amazon have over one million employees (2.3 million and 1.29 million employees, respectively). This spreadsheet has been compiled using two different lists of the largest US companies. This data will be used to estimate the different employee-range categories.
- Between 1,000 and 10,000 employees: 454,304
- As Available, between 10,000 and 20,000 employees: 165,098
- The number of companies with over 20,000 employees is 600,947
- Between 20,000 and 50,000 employees: Estimated to be less than this value: 600,947-(15+4+2)=600,926
- Between 50,000 and 100,000 employees: N/A
- Between 100,000 and 250,000 employees: N/A
- Between 250,000 and 500,000 employees: At least 15 companies fall into this category.
- Between 500,000 and 1,000,000 employees: At least four companies fall in this category.
- Over 1,000,000 employees: At least two companies fall into this category.
Our research team conducted an extensive search through publicly available databases such as the NAICS Association, The US Bureau of Labor Statistics, and the United States Census Bureau and found some data that addressed the lower employee count brackets. In order to address the larger brackets, the research team searched for the largest companies in order to populate the larger employment brackets. The sources that we consulted for this stage include Forbes, Fortune, Crunchbase, and other industry report platforms.
Based on the information that we gathered from these sources, we have calculated some data and presented it accordingly. For the sections that we were unable to address, we have labeled the section with N/A. However, the total number of companies that would fit in these three categories has also been provided in our findings.