Expert List: Sustainability, Kenya
Nigeria has a host of experts who are skilled in agriculture, green energy, climate change, and youth empowerment fields. The profiles of Lucas Adeniji, mechanized farm and farm expansion expert, AgTech founder Okediji Ayooluwa, smart agriculturist Celestine Aguoru (who promotes its usage in preventing climate change), inventor and youth empowerment expert Okwudili Ogbuenyi, and green energy specialist Damilola Ogunbiyi are provided below.
Agriculture and Climate: Lucas Adeniji
- Lucas Adeniji is the Chief Executive Officer of the second-largest mechanized farm in Nigeria. He is considered an agricultural expert by many.
- Adeniji has given interviews frequently on the opportunity Nigeria has in the agricultural industry.
- Adeniji gives public addresses, such as speaking at the 16th Valedictory Service of Sharon Rose Schools and College, Saki and Ago Are, Oyo State in 2019.
Agriculture and Climate: Okediji Ayooluwa
- Okediji Ayooluwa is the founder and current CEO of AgroInfoTech Africa, a company that maintains a portfolio of ICT4Ag brands for the purposes of engaging "smallholder farmers, agribusinesses, research institutions and other stakeholders across the agricultural value chain."
- Okediji Ayooluwa was heavily involved in the founding of the first AgTech Innovation and Entrepreneurship Center and has been "appointed to the E-Agric Stakeholders Forum by the Federal Ministry of Agriculture".
- He is a Fellow of the YouthActionNet, an initiative of the International Youth Foundation.
- His life goal is "To pioneer platforms that will help millions of people live a meaningful life by adding 'the extra' to 'the ordinary'."
Agriculture and Climate: Celestine Aguoru
- Celestine Aguoru is a plant biotechnologist serving as the president of Nigeria’s National Biotechnology and Biosafety Consortium.
- Aguoru is a proponent of smart agriculture and its ability to mitigate climate change impact caused by farming.
- Smart agriculture enables farmers to increase their output on less land, thereby limiting the amount of harmful chemicals used, Aguoru explains.
- Aguoru also promotes using environmental biotechnology (to assist with waste management and pollution control) as a means to positively affect climate via farming.
Community Sustainability: Okwudili Ogbuenyi
- Okwudili Ogbuenyi is a leading inventor in Nigeria who is actively involved in speaking to and providing opportunities for Nigeria's youths.
- He was presented with the award of Nigerian Youth Ambassador by the National Youth Council of Nigeria earlier in 2020. During the presentation, he urges the youths present to take the lead in their lives and set their own course to effectively change their country. "I sincerely believe the vision of a diversified Nigerian economy rests with youths."
- Ogbuenyi is a former electrical engineer who left his job with a major international oil and gas company to become an inventor.
- As a philanthropist, he runs free training workshops and provides scholarships to youths in Nigeria.
Community Sustainability: Damilola Ogunbiyi
- Damilola Ogunbiyi has been heavily involved in sustainable and renewable energy projects within Nigerian communities.
- She was the first female to serve as the Managing Director of the Nigerian Rural Electrification Agency and successfully established the Nigerian Electrification Project within 18 months. The project is dedicated to erecting solar mini-grids for homes and other buildings.
- Damilola Ogunbiyi is now the CEO and Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) and Co-Chair of UN-Energy. She is involved in youth empowerment in the field of green energy and remains committed to spreading access to green energy in communities around the world.