Expedited Building Permits (Part 1)
Six cities that provide a process for expedited residential building are Philadelphia, PA, San Diego, CA, Dallas, TX, Washington, DC, Las Vegas, NV, and Louisville, KY. All the cities can be found on this spreadsheet.
- Philadelphia proves for expedited building permits for a single-family home. The fee is $450. If the review takes more than four hours, there is an extra $135 per hour fee.
San Diego, CA
- Express Plan Check Administration Fee of $655.40 plus 1.5 times regular plan check fee (or 1.5 times the hourly rate, when applicable).
- Dallas has a special team called the Q Team. The applicant must submit the standard fee according to their schedule, and a prequalification fee and an additional $1,000 per hour review time.
- Washington, DC, has two programs. The first is called the Velocity service, which charges a standard fee of $50,000 for buildings less than 50,000 square feet, and up to $75,000 for buildings over $50,00 square feet.
- For the Expedition service, the fees started at $5,000 or $10,000 and increased based on how many plan-review sessions a project needs.
- These fees do not include the regular costs of underlying permits, which can be several thousand dollars on their own. $5000-$10000
Las Vegas, NV
- The owner/builder team meets with the plans examiners, and they work until plans are approved, and permits are ready to be issued. The cost is a non-refundable $550 administrative fee and $660 per hour over and above the regularly published plan review fees.
- The keys to a successful express appointment include a pre-review appointment to evaluate your plans in the design stage and point out potential problem areas.
- The fee for a pre-review appointment starts at $176 per hour.
- Fast-track elective. For permit applicants seeking early site/ foundation, shell and/or phased approval prior to full review of complete set on construction documents, the fee for foundations as listed in subsection (A)(7) listed below shall apply;
- However, shell permits and phased work will be charged the full fee using the table listed in subsection (A)(1). The following interior finish work or phased work will be charged the full fee using the table listed in subsection (A)(1). .105 per square foot.
We began by listing the all cities in the US with over 175,000 people. The total was 155 cities. This was a reasonable number to keep this project within scope.
For each city, we read the instructions for building permits. We found a number of cities that have online permitting services where a sign in was required to find fee information. We indicated that finding on the attached spreadsheet.
If there was no mention of an expedited or accelerated processes or fee, we logged the city as no. We confirmed by checking the building permit form looking at the fee section.
Ultimately we found 16 cities where an expedited building permit was available. Where the information was straightforward, we summarized it. Where it was more complex, we copied it exactly into the key findings.