Second Language Training - Oregon
The 7-10 companies, educational institutions, and/or resources in Oregon providing English as a Second Language training include Clackamas Community College, Central Oregon Community College, Lane Community College, Wilsonville Public Library, Goodwill Jobconnection, Pacific International Academy, and Capstone English Mastery Center.
1. Clackamas Community College
Website: Clackamas Community College
- Clackamas Community College is an educational institution.
- Clackamas Community College call their English training program English as a Second Language (ESL).
- Clackamas Community College has dedicated contacts from Spanish and Russian clients who join the college to learn English as a second language.
- The structure of the institution's training engagement include: offering classes from beginning to advanced level through various terms with fee structure of either $25 per class for the beginner level or $50 per class for the advanced level for a term.
- The college is located in Oregon City Campus, Dye Learning Center, room 150.
- "Classes offered Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m."
2. Central Oregon Community College
Website: Central Oregon Community College
- Central Oregon Community College is an educational institution.
- Central Oregon Community College call their training program English Language Learning (ELL).
- The school primarily targets Spanish-speaking people as it is evident from the translating tool that it uses to target visitors who want to learn English as a second language.
- The cost is $30 per lesson for a term/quarter including the cost of books.
3. Lane Community College
Website: Lane Community College
- Lane Community College is an international educational institution based in Eugene Oregon.
- The college calls its English training program English as a Second Language (ESL).
- Apart from English, the college also train student other languages that include Arabic, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Bahasa Indonesia, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Thai Language, Vietnamese, Simplified Chinese, and traditional Chinese.
- The structure of learning charges students who live permanently in the U.S. learning fees of $15 as Material Fee (per class), $27 as Transportation Fee (per term), $5 as Technology Fee (per term), and $10 as Student Services Fee (per term).
- The college has a language translation tool that makes it easy for international student to scan through their website and make any inquiries.
FEES FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS:
- Class Fee (per term): Writing & Grammar A-F as $1,320, Reading & Oral Skills A-D as $1,320, Reading E-F as $660, Listening and Speaking E-F as $660, ESL Combined Skills 0-6 as $660 .
- International Student Fee : For Full-time International Student Fee of $250, Part-time International Student Fee of $125, Material Fee (per class) costs $15, and Resource Fee (per term) costs $32.
4. Wilsonville Public Library
Website: Wilsonville Public Library
- Wilsonville Public Library serves as a public resource with the objective of enabling people to study English as a second language.
- Their English training program is called Portland ESL Network.
- The library is located at 8200 SW Wilsonville Road Wilsonville, OR 97070.
- Their services are free, and classes are held on Thursday afternoons, from 1-2:30 pm.
- No registration required is required for a person to attend the classes which are characterized by an Informal class setting. Additionally, both beginners and advanced English learners are welcomed.
- The library primarily targets Spanish students willing to study English as is evident from the Spanish write up available on the homepage of the official website of the library.
5. Goodwill Jobconnection
Website: Goodwill Jobconnection
- Goodwill Jobconnection is a company that offers free English as a Second Language (ESL) training to all levels of learners in Portland Oregon.
- The English training is sponsored through donations that helps the company to provide learning resources to learners.
- They call their program ESL (English as a Second Language) classes.
- Goodwill Jobconnection offer free classes to all people, especially immigrants.
- The training is offered Mondays through Fridays for all level learners in Portland.
- There are testimonials of people from China, France etc who have learned English as a Second language available on the company's website.
6. Pacific International Academy
Website: Pacific International Academy
- Pacific International Academy is an educational institution located in the suburbs of Portland, Oregon.
- The schools English training program is called English as a Second Language (ESL).
- The International Academy allow international students across the globe to study English as a second language.
- The structure of learning is usually per term, with the fees for Grammar being $750 per term, Reading is $750 per term, Writing is $750 per term, and Speaking & Listening is $750 per term totaling to $3,000 per term.
- Pacific International Academy is an international academy, and from the application page of the school's website it is evident that the school targets people who speak French, Spanish, German, Arabic, Vietnamese, Turkish, Thai Language, Portuguese, Italiano, Indonesian, Simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, and Korean, (Source 10)
7. Capstone English Mastery Center
Website: Capstone English Mastery Center
- Capstone English Mastery Center as an educational institution based in Portland Oregon that provides Intensive English instruction to non-native English speakers across the globe.
- The mission of Capstone English Mastery Center is to " provide high quality English language instruction to Non- Native English-speaking students whose goals range from academic to professional to personal, while fostering an environment of intercultural understanding and cooperation in the American classroom and cultural context. "
- The program usually run for four terms per year, and the learning hours are: 9:00 am — 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- The fees for Basic Studies, General Studies, or Academic Studies Program is $1100 per session (per term), including books & materials.
We made use of English as a second language directory to locate some schools in Oregon. We also used Google Search Translate and other language translation tools to translate languages that we not written in English during our research.
For Capstone English Mastery Center we perused through English as a second language directory in the USA to see if there would be a mention of the languages that they focus when providing services, but the search was not fruitful. We extended our search through social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram among others to see if they would mention the Languages but there was no specific mentions.
We decided to scan through news platforms and business magazines such as Forbes, PR Newswire among others but there was no specific mention of the languages. We then resolved to go through the company website itself and the company's vision gave us a hint. The company's vision is "Is to provide high quality English language instruction to Non- Native English-speaking students whose goals range from academic to professional to personal, while fostering an environment of intercultural understanding and cooperation in the American classroom and cultural context". The only hint we could get from the vision is that they focus on non-native English speakers without specifics, hence we could not mention specific languages for Capstone English Mastery Center.
For Goodwill Jobconnection we also perused through English as a second language directory in the USA to see if there would be a mention of the Languages they focus on to teach speakers of such languages English language as a second language but there was no mention.
We extended our search through social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram among others to see if they would mention the Languages but we could not locate the company social media platforms hence this was a fruitless effort.
We then went through news platforms and business magazines such as Forbes, PR News Wire among others but there was no specific mention of the languages that Goodwill Jobconnection focuses on. We then decided to go through the company website and we were able to get a hint of their target audience. We found a phrase that states "Anyone who wishes to learn English or improve their English Free is welcome, We also help all immigrants in the community prepare for their naturalization interview". This helped us to conclude that the company targets all speakers of other languages.
Lane Community College, and Pacific International Academy are international institutions and they take care of a wide variety of people. We had to look at the group of people that apply to the institutions and concluded that they also target speakers of all other languages who want to learn English.