The requested details for the 25 acquisitions made by Emerson between 2016 and 2020 have been provided in rows 2-27 of the attached spreadsheet. Moreover, the names and acquisition dates of 44 additional acquisitions made by Emerson from 2000 to 2015 and 2018 have also been provided in rows 28-71 of the attached spreadsheet.
Part 1- Details of Emerson's Acquisition (2016-2020)
The requested details for the acquisitions made by Emerson between 2016 and 2020 have been provided in rows 2-27 of the attached spreadsheet. We have added another column (column C) to distinguish between the acquisition announcement date and acquisition completion date since several acquisitions were completed months or years after they were first announced.
The name of the acquiring company at the time of the acquisition, link to the acquired company's website, a brief overview of the acquired company, acquisition cost/value, sales/revenue of the acquired company at the time of the acquisition, locations that the acquired company operated in, statements by Emerson's officials on each acquisition, and a link to the acquired company's logo have been provided for the 25 acquisitions listed in rows 2-27 of the attached spreadsheet. A brief overview of the findings can be found below.
- On July 17, 2018, Emerson completed the acquisition of Aventics GmBH for $622 million. Aventics had annual sales of $425 million at the time of acquisition.
- On December 1, 2017, Emerson completed the acquisition of Paradigm for $505 million.
- On April 28, 2017, Emerson completed the acquisition of Pentair — Valves & Controls for $3.15 billion.
- The company completed the acquisition of Textron’s Tools and Test Equipment Business on July 2, 2018. Greenlee, Greenlee Communications, Greenlee Utility, HD Electric, Klauke, Sherman+Reilly, and Endura are different brands of Textron Tools & Test businesses acquired by Emerson in this deal for a total of $810 million. The total deal size and net sales of these brands are provided in row 27.
We were unable to find the acquisition cost/value and sales/revenue of the acquired company at the time of acquisition for some of the acquired companies/segments after scouring through the annual reports, 10-K filings, proxy statements, and press releases of Emerson. This is because Emerson typically discloses the combined cost of all acquisitions and the combined net sales of all acquired companies in each fiscal year's reports and financial filings. Emerson discloses the individual acquisition costs and net sales for major acquisitions only in its reports and filings.
We also ran a press scan to find this information from credible news and media resources such as Business Wire, Yahoo Finance, and BizJournals, etc. as well as industry-specific publications such as Automation.com, Network Computing, and Control Engineering, among others. In addition, we reviewed company databases like Crunchbase and Mergr to find this information. While these approaches were helpful in providing the exact or estimated acquisition cost/value and sales/revenue of the acquired company for several acquisitions, no transaction details were disclosed or estimated for some acquisitions. Where we have been unable to find the information, we have entered N/A into the spreadsheet.
Part 2 — Emerson's Acquisitions (2000-2015)
A total of 44 additional acquisitions made by Emerson have been identified after scouring through Emerson's annual reports and 10-K filings for the past 15 years, conducting deep press scan for acquisition-related news and media releases, and reviewing company databases like Crunchbase and Mergr. Out of these, 43 acquisitions were made during FY2000-FY2015. One additional acquisition from FY2018 were also identified. The names of the company/segment acquired and the acquisition dates for these 44 acquisitions have been provided in rows 28-71 of the attached spreadsheet. A brief overview of the findings can be found below.
- In FY2015 (year ended September 30, 2015), Emerson acquired Spectrex, Inc., intelliSAW, Energy Solutions International (ESI), Yggdrasil, and Ameya Transmissions.
- Emerson acquired the "leading reliability consulting services firm Management Resources Group, Inc. (MRG)" on May 20, 2014.
- The company acquired Decision Management International (DMI) on August 14, 2007.
- Emerson completed the acquisition of Jordan Telecommunication Products, Inc. on December 15, 1999 (FY2000) and renamed it to Emerson Telecommunication Products.
- On December 10, 2018, it acquired iSolutions Inc.