Emerging Trends in Digital Advertising
According got several industry reports, the key trends in digital advertising, based on the amount of coverage each trend received, include the use of videos, influencer marketing, augmented reality, e-commerce platforms and the use of visual and voice.
The top 7 emerging trends around advertising with digital media in the U.S.
The use of video
- There is an increase in the use of video ads.
- The increase in the use of video content has sparked a lot of competition among advertisers.
- There is an increase in the number of videos ads on private marketplaces (PMPs), a trend that has caused marketers to aim for premium inventory and better performance by displaying video ads on higher quality sites.
- On smartphones, video content is mainly viewed through popular apps. This means that as the use of video ads increases, the demand for video streaming ads is also likely to go up.
- More people are streaming video content each day. According to a survey by Pew Research Center, 45% of Gen Z are online throughout the whole day.
- 64% of consumers in the US agree that watching a video on Facebook influenced their buying decision.
- In 2017, US companies spent over $13 billion on video ads, with the figure expected to rise to $22 billion by 2021.
- There is an increase in the use of influencers to promote consumer goods and services. This is mainly due to the fact that influencers are trusted by their audience. (Source #1)
- Paid promotion that leverages influencers works best when the content shared is genuine; the influencer has to be true to their style and messaging, and the brand has to deliver on its promises.
- This form of marketing is gaining popularity among companies that are seeking to grow their brands by putting user’s point of view at the center of their operation.
- The secret behind influencer marketing is finding the right strategy to keep the engagement and trust of the target audience.
- In addition, to maximize RoI, marketers are choosing their influencers carefully as well as ensuring that the ambassadors they use cater to and reach the right consumers.
- A survey conducted by Activate in 2017 showed that 62% of marketers are planning to grow their influencer marketing budgets in 2018.
- In addition, around 61% of influencers said they had more sponsored partnership opportunities in 2017 than they had in 2016.
The use of Augmented reality and Artificial intelligence
- The use of apps like Snapchat, Apple AR kit, and Google Lens has raised the use of AR in digital marketing.
- Augmented reality offers a lot of marketing opportunities. Integration of digital data into real-time experience is something akin to pop-up push notifications. It can be used as suggestions and FYI-styled messages.
- AI is being used to analyze consumer behavior and search patterns, utilizing data from social media platforms and blog posts to help businesses understand how users and customers find their products and services.
- A study by Gartner shows that 25% of customers will use chatbot technology by 2020, up from less than 2% in 2017.
the use of e-commerce as a marketing tool
- eCommerce retailers are seeing growing business as more and more consumers embrace online shopping.
- In 2018, Amazon became the third largest digital advertising platform in the U.S., behind Facebook and Google.
- Other players that have turned their websites into advertising channels include eBay and Walmart.
Visual and voice
- Key players in the voice search sector include Google, Facebook, and Amazon.
- According to Chatmeter, over 50% of consumers own a smart speaker and use it daily.
- On average, Amazon receives 130 million questions per day via Alexa.
- Recently, Snapchat partnered with Amazon to offer users a new image-based shopping feature—users snap a photo of a product and Amazon will ring up a menu of store purchases options.
- Both voice and visual search are expected to be a game changer for marketers and are likely to unlock many opportunities.