Education Spend and Numbers of Students 17
In 2019, the Netherland government budgeted to spend €38.5 billion on education, culture, and science. As available, information on the education spend and student enrollment in the primary and secondary levels in Netherland have been entered into row 19 of the attached spreadsheet.
Annual Education Enrollment
- According to data from UNESCO, the total education enrollment for both primary and secondary school levels in Netherland was 2,832,272 in 2017 (calculations below).
- In 2010, the total enrollment in the country was 2,768,998 (calculations below).
- According to data from the Netherland ministry of finance, the 2019 expenditure budget for the ministry of education, culture, and science was €38.5 billion.
- In 2018, the budget was €35.4 billion.
To provide data on the education spend and student enrollment in the primary and secondary levels in Netherland from 2010 to 2019, our first approach was to scour through the website of the ministry of finance and the ministry of education in the Netherland. While we found information on the 2018 and 2019 budget of the government published by the ministry of finance, data for other years, as well as information on student enrollment were not available. We also noticed that the ministry of education in the country is combined with the ministries of culture and science in the country. Therefore, the annual budget for this ministry is not specific to only education. We extended our search to include other independent organizations and third-party databases which identified data on the annual expenditure on education from 2010 to 2017 (2018 was estimated) in the country. In the course of our search, we found news articles that hinted that the annual education budget in Netherland is about €30 billion. Due to the unavailability of 2010 to 2017 data from government sources, we have provided the data from Statista as an alternative. Furthermore, we found data on the annual student enrollment for both primary and secondary school levels in Netherland. However, 2014, 2015, 2018, and 2019 data were not available after an exhaustive search through credible data banks such as The World Bank and UNESCO. Note that we converted the education budget on the spreadsheet from Euros to USD using the current rate at the time of this research.
Annual enrollment: Primary + Secondary = Total enrollment
- 2010: 1,294,015 + 1,474,983 = 2,768,998
- 2011: 1,291,665 + 1,538,898 = 2,830,563
- 2012: 1,277,199 + 1,550,175 = 2,827,374
- 2015: 1,208,038 + 1,613,497 = 2,821,535
- 2016: 1,192,268 + 1,611,016 = 2,803,284
- 2017: 1,181, 893 + 1,650,379 = 2,832,272