Retail / Distribution: Job Titles, Part 2
Examples of job titles held by someone responsible for either growing or buying food to sell to consumers at larger retailers and food distribution companies include “Senior Manager, Food Supply Chain Operations”, “Replenishment Manager”, “Senior Buying Manager, Produce”, “Sourcing Manager”, and “Produce Procurement Manager”. These managerial positions are below the Vice President or Director level.
Senior Manager, Food Supply Chain Operations
- Amazon uses the title of “Senior Manager, Food Supply Chain Operations” for the role that leads raw material procurement activities for its fresh meal kit products.
- Candidates for the position are required to have experience managing large teams as well as engaging directly with fresh food ingredient suppliers.
- The position is classified as middle to senior level.
- US Foods uses the title of “Replenishment Manager” for an employee responsible to lead and develop teams that acquire their products regularly.
- The Replenishment Manager is responsible for directly leading a team of no more than 10 employees.
- The company prefers candidates with foodservice experience.
Senior Buying Manager, Produce
- Walmart is a major retailer in the US and sells fresh produce products in its Supercenters.
- Walmart uses the title of “Senior Buying Manager, Produce” for an employee that leads procurement efforts for its produce products.
- A person holding the role claims to have experience leading and managing cross-functional teams.
- Fresh Express and Kroger both use the title of “Sourcing Manager” for their employee responsible for managing daily supplies of produce such as lettuce.
- The Sourcing Manager in Fresh Express is responsible for managing suppliers and supervises a small team of three.
- The Sourcing Manager in Kroger is responsible to identify potential suppliers and has direct reports.
Produce Procurement Manager
- Albertsons Safeway is a subsidiary of Albertsons, one of the largest food retailers in the United States.
- Albertsons uses the title of “Produce Procurement Manager” for an employee responsible for the procurement of their produce products.
- The company requires a candidate with over 7 years of experience in produce procurement and 5-10 years of experience in managing people.