Ecommerce Platforms Research
The top 10 e-commerce platforms based on the number of users, revenues, pricing structure, and platform features have been detailed in the attached spreadsheet. For each platform identified, its respective website, product/service offerings, pricing, number of users, most recently published revenue, number of countries served, product compatibility, company mission, and notable brands using the platform have been detailed. This information can be viewed in its entirety on the attached spreadsheet. All sources used to compile this data can be found in column N for each respective platform. A brief overview of these findings is also available below.
Top E-Commerce Platforms
- The top 10 e-commerce platforms were determined to be:
- WooCommerce (row 4) offers a 100% free to use platform that can be modified and personalized. The platform offers additional add-ons and bundles for businesses that wish to invest and grow.
- Magento is owned by Adobe, Inc. and offers extensive training and insights from industry experts. This platform does not publicly display their pricing information, but the expertise available is competitive.
- Volusion (row 8) is recommended for beginners looking to start an online store or business because of its easy-to-use platform. This brand also offers optimization add-ons and discounts on 3-month plans.
- Salesforce Commerce Cloud (row 9) is highly recommended for large businesses that gross over $1 million in sales each year.
For a complete breakdown of data for all of the above-listed company, please review the attached spreadsheet.
In order to identify the top e-commerce platforms, we analyzed more than 10 rankings from industry experts on the best e-commerce platforms on the market right now. These experts ranked the sites listed above, as well as others, based on the available features, pricing structures, access to support, number of users, and many other features to determine what the best of the best options currently are. By comparing the rankings across these different sources, we picked the top 10 listed on the attached spreadsheet based on how often they were ranked, and what position they were ranked in. The platforms identified above are currently ranked based on how often they were ranked as a top platform across multiple sources, as well as what position (out of 10) they were typically placed at. Based on this, we then compiled data on the most mentioned platforms, including their revenue, number of merchants, and notable brands using the platform to provide a side-by-side comparison of each. This information can be used to determine which may be the best fit for a new e-commerce company.