Amazon, Alibaba, and eBay have approximately 437,500, 22,100, and 6,800 international employees respectively. Details of each company's international teams and interesting statistics have been provided below.
AMAZON INTERNATIONAL TEAM
- Over the last 11 years, Amazon's international team has grown exponentially from just 17,000 employees in 2007 to 647,500 employees in 2018 with 210,000 working in the United States.
- Amazon has over 437,500 workers employed in 30 countries around the world.
- In certain countries outside the United States, the company has "works councils, statutory employee representation obligations, and union agreements." The company is dedicated to retaining a good working relationship with their employees worldwide.
- Internationally, women made 99.5 cents for every dollar that men made and minorities made 98.5 cents for every dollar white employees made.
- Amazon has 192 teams worldwide including Advertising, Amazon Alexa, Amazon Books, Customer Service, Devices, Amazon Go, Web Services, Corporate Development, Consumer Payments, Digital Entertainment, e-Commerce Foundation, Finance and Accounting, Fulfillment, Human Resources, Kindle, Legal, Marketplace, Operations, Prime Video, Retail, Student Programs, Subsidiaries, and Transport and Logistics.
- Amazon has 4 locations in Latin America, 102 locations in Europe, 8 locations in the Middle East and Africa, and 37 locations in Asia Pacific.
AMAZON INTERESTING STATISTICS
- In 2018, Amazon generated $232 billion in sales from the company's e-retails sales, third-party sales, and subscription services.
- In 2017, the company recorded over 50% of their products were being sold by third-party sellers or through Fulfilled By Amazon (FBA).
- Shareholder percentage increased from 3% in 1999 to 58% in 2018.
- In 2018, Amazon first party sales accounted for $117 billion while third-party sales accounted for $160 billion growing at a compounded rate of 25% and 52% respectively.
- In addition to the company's international full and part-time employees, they work with independent contractors and temporary personnel during seasonal highs, such as November and December.
- Employees worldwide hold 113 million stock shares in the company.
- A key driver in the company's employee growth is the employee benefits and wages offered, namely the increase to $15 per hour minimum wage boost in 2018.
- In 2018, women accounted for 40% of Amazon employees but only 26% of leadership positions.
ALIBAB INTERNATIONAL TEAM
- Alibaba has grown from 21,930 employees in 2012 to 101,958 employees in 2019, however, only 22,100 of those employees are international.
- In 2016, the company rolled out a global education initiative that is dedicated to cultivating international talents to employ within their company.
- The main team that the company is cultivating into an international team is Rural TaoBao. This team is leading trade between the company and rural regions worldwide expanding outside of China.
- Revenue for international e-commerce increased by 94% in 2018 due to increased investment and team building in Lazada, the company's international technology infrastructure.
- Alibaba now has international employees in the United States, Europe, and Australia.
- Alibaba has 4 global teams including Customer service, research and development, sales and marketing, and general and administrative.
- In 2018, the company opened R&D centers in Singapore, Israel, and the United States.
ALIBAB INTERESTING STATISTICS
- In 2018, the company's revenue increased by 58% year-over-year to $39.898 billion.
- In 2018, Alibaba awarded 10% of their revenue to employees through the employee share-based compensation plan.
- The company is expanding its offline retail departments in cloud computing and consumer finance.
EBAY INTERNATIONAL TEAM
- In 2017, eBay had a total of 14,100 employees worldwide with only 7,300 located in the United States. The company's employees have declined from 16,200 employees worldwide in 2008.
- The company has been rated the best company for LGBTQ employees with an international pay 99.7% pay equality percentage. In the United States the pay equality is 98.5%.
- EBay stated that they have invested more into international employees in recent years because United States based employees cost more.
- 61% of eBay's revenue comes from international sources.
- EBay has 4 locations in Latin America, 24 in Europe, Middle East, and Africa, and 14 in Asia Pacific.
EBAY INTERESTING STATISTICS
- EBay's revenue has grown at a compounded rate of 20% from 1999-2018 from $2.8 billion to $95 billion.
- The company does not maintain any long-term employment agreements with any "key personnel."
- Employees hold approximately 12 million stock shares in the company.
- Amazon leads the market in terms of both number of overall employees and international employees, however, Alibaba is dedicated to catching up with the goal of employing 1 million employees internationally.
- Amazon and eBay have locations in several regions worldwide including North America, Latin America, Europe, Middle East and Africa, and Asia Pacific. While Alibaba is still expanding, they are the only one of the three companies to have offices in Australia.
- Both Amazon and eBay publicize their employee benefits including wages and wage equality, however, Alibaba does not provide such figures in media publications or in annual reports.
- Both Alibaba and Amazon invest in education initiatives for international employees.