US Dorm Mattresses: Market Size
In 2017, there were about 5.38 million beds in the on-campus housing of colleges and universities in the U.S.
NUMBER OF BEDS IN THE US ON-CAMPUS HOUSING
- The U.S. National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) reports that in 2018, there were 4,298 degree-granting post-secondary institutions in the country.
- The total number of enrolled students in U.S. colleges in 2017 was 18.4 million, 16.8 million were undergraduates.
- Furthermore, the U.S. National Center for Education Statistics opines that in 2016, 32% of all full-time undergraduate students in the U.S. lived on-campus.
- If the percentage of on-campus students remains the same, it means that about 5.38 million (i.e 16.8 million*32%) full-time undergraduate students lived on-campus in the U.S.
- An estimated 45.5 thousand student beds were delivered in the U.S. in 2018.
While pre-compiled data on the market size or the number of beds in the on-campus housing of colleges and universities in the U.S. is largely unavailable on government databases, credible institutional organization reports, market reports, and expert publications, your research team was able to triangulate an estimate of the total number of beds in the on-campus housing of colleges and universities in the country. To arrive at a realistic estimate, we have assumed that every on-campus student would have a single mattress to themselves. We also assumed that the percentage of students on-campus remains unchanged from 2016 to 2017. Furthermore, this estimate was focused on only full-time undergraduates in the U.S.