Dog Show Statistics
15 statistics from the Westminster Dog Show, National Dog Show, Crufts Dog Show, and World Dog Show have been provided below. An extensive search did not reveal the amount of hairspray used at Westminster or other dog shows. However, other grooming statistics from the Westminster, along with the amount of fur that are needed to be cleaned up after Crafts has ended will be provided below. Please note an attempt has been made to have an equal mix of grooming and non-grooming statistics. However, more non-grooming statistics have been provided as only a limited number of grooming facts are available, and most involve non-statistical facts such as the types of hairspray, shampoo or conditioner used by the dogs.
LIST OF DOG SHOWS/GROOMING STATISTICS
1. An owner spent five hours grooming/prepping her cocker spaniel before the start of the 2017 Westminster Dog Show.
2. During the 2018 Westminster Dog Show, several owners were seen using the Kenra hairspray on their dogs. A bottle of Kenra hairspray costs $17.99 on Amazon.
3. Some groomers spent up to 20 minutes perfecting one of their poodle’s ankle poufs at the 2018 Westminster Dog Show.
4. A Komondor from Virginia was bathed before leaving for the 2018 Westminster Dog Show in New York City as she requires two days for her coat to dry completely.
5. At 142 years old, the Westminster Dog Show is the second oldest continuous sporting event in the United States after the Kentucky Derby.
6. 201 different dog breeds and varieties competed in the 2018 Westminster Dog Show.
7. Terriers have won the most Best in Show awards 47 times (33%) out of 142 editions of the Westminster Dog Show.
8. The largest dog to win the Westminster’s Best in Show award was a 155-pound Newfoundland (1984), and the smallest was a 4.5-pound Pomeranian (1988).
9. The oldest dog to win the Westminster’s Best in Show award was a Sussex Spaniel who was aged ten years, two months and nine days when it won in 2009, and the youngest was a 9-month old Rough Collie in 1929.
10. At Westminster, dogs are judged on the following 13 attributes: balance, weight, size, eyes, head shape, muzzle, whisker thickness, teeth, tail, shoulders, legs, coat, and color.
11. The top prize at the National Dog Show is around $1,500.
12. The first four years of the UK-based Crufts Dog Show (1886-1890) were only opened to terriers.
13. The Guinness Book of Records recognized Crufts as the world’s largest dog show in 1991. 27,000 dogs take part in the dog show every year.
14. 350kg of fur will be cleared after the Crufts has ended.
15. The top five countries with the most entries in the 2017 World Dog Show in Leipzig, Germany are Germany (8,577/ 27.57%), Russia (3,463/11.13%), Italy (2,295/7.38%), Czech Republic (1,770/5.69%), and Poland (1,737/5.58%).
In conclusion, 15 statistics from the Westminster Dog Show, National Dog Show, Crufts Dog Show, and World Dog Show have been provided. They included a mix of statistics related to time, monetary value, years, number, percentage, weight, and age.