Department of Defense Research Labs
The remaining three Research labs operated overseas by the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) are U.S. Army Medical Research Unit-Kenya (USRAMU-K), Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences (AFRIMS) and the shuttered U.S. Army Medical Research Unit-Brazil.
- U.S. Army Medical Research Unit-Kenya is located in Nairobi, Kenya.
- The Unit researches on emerging infectious diseases and focuses on programs that encompass HIV prevention and treatment. It has conducted research on malaria, trypanosomiasis, leishmaniasis, entomology, HIV/AIDS and arboviruses.
- The unit was provisionally established in 1969 and permanently established in 1973.
- USRAMU-K maintains multiple points of contact. The simplest would be email@example.com. It can also be reached through the US Embassy at telephone number 020 272 93 03, through its Kisumu Kondele offices at telephone numbers 0733 792 651,0706 131 186 or at its Kericho offices at telephone number 0522030686/2030388
- The Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences (AFRIMS) is located in Bangkok, Thailand.
- The work of AFRIMS is to conduct "state of the art medical research and disease surveillance to develop and evaluate medical products, vaccines, and diagnostics to protect DOD personnel from infectious disease threats—many of which also endanger the men, women and children of Southeast Asia."
- AFRIMS was established in 1959.
- The Director of AFRIMS is Colonel Christopher B. Soltis, M.D.
- The lab can be reached at telephone numbers (66-2) 644-4888, 02-696-2700 or by fax at (66-2) 354-7873or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- U.S. Army Medical Research Unit-Brazil was located in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- USAMRU-B researched prevention and treatment of endemic diseases such as malaria, dengue, leptosporosis, hepatitis, leishmaniasis, and diarrheal diseases, as well as research on vector biology, rapid field diagnosis, and applied entomology.
- USRAMU-B was established in 1973 and closed in 1997.
- No current commander or contact information is available as USRAMU-B has been closed.
ADDITIONAL CONTACT INFORMATION
- The current commander of NAMRU-6 is Captain William R. Howard.
- Unconventionally, the best publicly accessible contact information for NAMRU-6 is its Facebook page, which is updated regularly.
- NMRC-A 's commanding officer, Captain Patrick J. Blair, can be contacted at (65) 6751-2220.
- The email address for NAMRU-3's commander, Captain Andrew F. Vaughn, is email@example.com.
To complete this request, our team started by reviewing the website of the US overseas research centers for the names of commanders and contact information. Unfortunately, some websites no longer exists. Both USRAMU-B and USRAMU-E have been shut down and no current contact or commander information does or can exist for these labs.