Dave Matthews Band Fans' Alcohol Preference
Although there are no hard data to succinctly support our findings on the alcoholic drink preferences of Dave Matthews Band fans, we were able to establish, by triangulation, that beer is the preferred alcoholic drink of Dave Matthews Band fans. Below is a deep dive into our findings.
To provide an analysis of the alcoholic drink preferences of Dave Matthews Band fans, we commenced with a thorough search on sources related to alcohol such as Estates and Wines, Don Q, Wineshop Hunters, and others for any pre-compiled survey report conducted on Dave Matthews Band fans. No such report was available. Our next approach was to search for expert analysis and articles related to Dave Matthews Band concerts and fans on leading media pages such as CNN, WSJ, NYT, and others, as well as social media reactions pre and post-Dave Matthews Band concerts. While we gained insight into the most popular alcoholic brand mentioned at publications related to this concert, there are no hard statistics to back up this finding.
Furthermore, we tried to triangulate useful data points on the alcoholic drink preference of these set of fans through establishing the demographics of Dave Matthews Band concert goers. We searched on music-related sources, fan pages, blogs, and social media profile pages. This strategy corroborates the finding from the previous strategy on the general alcoholic drink preference of these fans. However, the findings are not enough to provide a comprehensive breakdown of these fans' alcoholic preferences. Hence, it was not possible to provide a percentage breakdown by alcoholic types.
According to our findings, most of Dave Matthews Band fans' are currently within the age range 30-50. This was established by sampling the ages of a few numbers of fans such as Chris Vaisnoras (36), Superfan Jill Noseda (47), Frank Reinstein (39), an 8th-grade teacher (31), and from a host of fans posting on Dave Matthews Band Facebook's page. Americans aged between aged 30 to 49 contribute the highest percentage of U.S. drinkers who prefer beer.
In the course of our research, we found that Dave Matthews Band fans mostly belong to sororities and fraternities in college. Fraternities and sororities are prominent with beer pong and excessive drinking. Our research also found that Dave Matthews Band established its very own beer brand which is known as Warehouse Pils — named after its fans club.
The following post-concert reactions further confirm that beer is the preferred alcoholic brand for Dave Matthews Band fans.
- "A natural counterpart to the Long Island bros, this group of fans attended the University of Michigan, Arizona State University, or the University at Buffalo. They absolutely love Dave Matthews because he taught them to celebrate 'because life is short but sweet for certain.' All their relationships tend to emulate pop song lyrics and they happen to enjoy BEER over any sort of liquor or wine."
- "Long Island bros know all the song’s lyrics but only start singing along after six BEERS. They all went to college together and joined the same fraternity."
- "And if you're seated far enough away from the stage, you may notice a constant, throbbing mass of people who are more interested in going on a BEER run than hanging out and enjoying the music they probably paid at least $60 to experience."
- "This perception of Dave Matthews Band fans has to lead many to believe that DMB shows are chock-full of fratty guys who love nothing more than drinking too many BEERS and possibly getting into a senseless fight after pumping their fists and screaming 'I LOVE YOU DAAAAAVE' at various points throughout the concert."
- "Sadly, this is through minimal doing of their own. The "Dave scene," once a bastion of eclectic indie rock fans, has been hijacked by the bromantic BEER-CHUGGERS typically found at a Luke Bryan or Lynyrd Skynyrd show. It's jam rock for people who don't like jam rock. "
- "The parking lots bustle with BEER bongs, flip cup, and late-model SUVs blasting either Dave or Wiz Khalifa."