DIY Weatherization Competitive Landscape
We have provided a competitive analysis of five companies in the DIY weatherization space — M-D Building Products, Frost King, 3M, Zoro Select, and Duck. This analysis has been compiled and provided in the attached spreadsheet. In general, all the brands have years of experience and expertise except Zoro Select.
- Duck prides itself as an expert with years of experience in its industry. Having invented the versatile Duck tape in 1942 during World War 2, the product has become the very foundation of its tape and seal business which finds application in a wide range of areas including packaging, offices, home and decoration, paints, storage, and others.
- Zoro believes it offers a competitive price across its product offerings. In addition, it delivers other special offers such as free shipping on product orders higher than $50. It provides "millions of everyday items, plus hard-to-find ones."
- With over 100 years of experience, 3M represents a brand with effective capabilities and expertise to deliver creativity to its customers in an efficient and simple manner.
- With more than a century of experience, Frost King claims to be a pioneer whose products single-handedly sparked the revolution of the DIY industry in its early days. It claimed to be "the #1 brand of packaged weatherstripping."
- M-D has a wealth of experience and expertise, being a brand focused on weatherization and home sealing products right from its origin. Furthermore, M-D claims that its products are trusted by consumers because they are "leaders in the weatherstripping, floor and tile trims, perforated aluminum sheets, digital levels, and caulking categories."
To address this request, we leveraged the company websites to provide the company overview, competitive advantage, products, and pricing data. While this information was readily available, the pricing was a bit difficult except for Zoro Select. For Zoro Select, the products were grouped per category and their prices provided per product. Therefore, we could determine the highest price and lowest price in each category and then, expressed the two prices as a range. This was done for each category.
However, this was not the case for M-D Building Products, Frost King, 3M and Duck's DIY weatherization products. There was no pricing information. And while the products and product details were available, the prices were not provided. Checking the product details for some products, we found that their products can be purchased from other third-party retailers such as Amazon, Walmart, Lowe's and The Home Depot. Furthermore, it would be extremely difficult to repeat the same approach we used for Zoro Select because for each category, there are several products and each product has different pack sizes and individual prices. Hence, it was difficult to obtain a good range for each category. We also searched for the prices per category in product review platforms but found only reviews/comparisons for specific products. Nonetheless, we have gone ahead and provided the prices of some products for some categories as a general insight.
Note that these brands have other products aside DIY weatherization, however, in providing their products and services, we focused on those that were DIY weatherization.