Lodging Companies for Disabled Travelers
After reviewing credible sources, we have discovered four different case studies of companies that provide excellent accommodation for disabled travelers. They include 1) United Airlines 2) Delta Air Lines 3) Gran Torre Catalunya Hotel Barcelona, 4) Wheelchair Friendly Hotel In Germany.
United Airlines is committed to assisting clients with disability impairments. The disabled client needs to contact the United Accessibility Desk for carriage of person and mobility equipment, the logistics of which may vary by aircraft or route, also, 48 hours advance notice is required if the client will be using any of these facilities:
1. Onboard medical oxygen in flight.
2. Will use continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine, ventilator, FAA-approved respirator, or personal oxygen concentrator (POC).
3. Require packaging or disassembly of a wheelchair battery.
4. Plans to transport an electric wheelchair on an aircraft with less than 60 seats.
5. Plans to travel with 10 or more disabled people.
6. Will need the emotional support or psychiatric service animal in the cabin.
7. Clients requiring special meals will need to give United a minimum of 24 hours notice.
Flight Information Display Systems:
Display systems that provide flight information are available in most airports, and Gate agents are available to supplement this with verbal flight information. United requests that its clients with a sensory disability inform any of its numerous airport employees for assistance.
Telecommunication Device For The Deaf (TDD):
Domestic airports in the United States have at least one e TDD. The impaired client can book his reservation using a TDD.
The impaired client can access the kiosk by plugging his headphones into the headphone jack, then; the audio instructions will begin to play.
Customer Wheelchair Equipment:
United will allow the client wheelchair and other assistive devices without additional costs.
All United's aircraft have enough space to accommodate a minimum of one adult-sized wheelchair, clients who identify themselves at preboarding have a preference in having their collapsible wheelchair stowed. Clients manual wheelchairs are checked in for stowage either the ticket counter or gate.
Powered Equipment, Carts, and Wheelchairs:
United will not disassemble any powered equipment, and the batteries will be left attached, provided it can fit into the aircraft upright, and there is sufficient space to store it, if not, airport personnel may ask the client for instruction to disassemble it.
En Route Assistance:
Semi-ambulatory clients will receive assistance from flight attendants in getting to or from the seat during flight.
Delta Air Lines is committed to providing its disabled clients the best service. Delta's employees are always available to help all disabled passengers who need it.
Seating Accommodation For Individuals With Disabilities:
Delta provides its disabled clients an applicable seating assignment depending on request in advance. An additional seat adjustment is made for:
1. Passengers who entered the aircraft with an aisle chair, and can't move over a fixed aisle armrest, can be fitted with seats with movable aisle armrest on a plane so equipped.
2. Passengers who need the assistance of an attendant he is travelling with can be provided with side-by-side seating.
3. Passengers who need the assistance of a service animal he is moving with; will be presented with any available seat but will be provided a bulkhead seat if requested.
4. A Passenger with an immobilized leg will get any place he qualifies for on the side of the aircraft that aptly suits their disability and if demanded, a bulkhead seat.
Delta accommodates service animals trained to assist passengers with hearing, visual, and mobility disabilities. These service animal must be on the floor space where the passenger is seated.
On-Board Medical Oxygen:
Delta permits its clients to utilize approved Portable Oxygen Concentrators (POC) with advance notification.
Delta will transport any manually, or battery operated mobility or assistive device without any additional charge.
Gran Torre Catalunya Hotel Barcelona
Gran Torre Catalunya Hotel Barcelona beside Barcelona Sants Station. It is a skyscraper building regularly used for conferences.
Accessibility To The Hotel For The Wheelchair Traveller:
There are eight stairs and a ramp fitted with handrails leading to the entrance leading to the doors. There are two sets of revolving and manual double doors.
Facilities For People With Disabilities:
1. The hotel has four lifts that do have the verbal announcement for stops.
2. The bar and dining areas are accessible by elevator.
3. There are 8 adapted guestrooms with furniture that can be modified for people with disabilities.
4. The bathroom comprises of a level access shower, a telephone, with a handrail beside the toilet.
WHEELCHAIR FRIENDLY HOTEL IN GERMANY
Wheelchair Friendly Hotel In Germany located in a region of numerous lakes regularly used for recreation.
Facilities For Disabled:
All the rooms have handrails, automatic doors, accessible balconies that overlooks a lake. The client can choose either a room with accessible shower or one with bathtub and shower. The hotel provides a Shower stool, special shower wheelchair, and detachable seats. Each wash basin is fitted with a shower extension, and some are height-adjustable. Rooms are spacious with twin beds, one being electric in most places. The rooms also contain a television, a telephone, a mini-bar, and an internet connection. Alarm clocks are fitted on both sides of the bed and in the bathroom that is linked to the reception. Other facilities include:
1. Height adjustable electric beds.
2. Portable hoists.
3. Swimming pool with a hoist.
4. Dogs are accommodated at an additional charge
5. Hoists are accessible at an additional charge