The key players in the digital media literacy space in Greece are Media Literacy Institute, Hellenic Audiovisual Institute, EKOME SA, ECREA, and Melde Project_European Commission.
Media Literacy Institute
- Organization type — civil society.
- Goal — Media Literacy Institute (MLI) is a non-profit organization founded in 2017 under Greek legislation. It aims to promote and disseminate the concepts of media and information literacy in Greece, Europe, and internationally.
- We recognize communication professionals and especially journalists as carriers and moderators of information and the citizens as equal partners in the justification of reliable information. We consider that all play critical and equally important roles for the country’s prosperity and sound operation, for justice, mutual trust, and, ultimately, for people progress.
- We believe that Media Literacy is a tool for modern societies to grow by empowering citizens to assess the function, content, value, and means of the media and of any “information source” that influences individual and collective decisions. We support media literate citizens to be vigilant of stereotypical narratives that frame their understanding of reality through bias and prejudice, paving the way for meaningful and critical evaluation of information and thus allowing for control of reliability, quality, intention, and purpose of information.
- Target audience — Public.
- Reach — International.
- Active since 2017.
- Organization type — Academia.
- Goal — The Hellenic Audiovisual Institute is the national research organization on audiovisual media in Greece. It is the main public service actor in the field of media literacy for children and youth, through the development of media literacy initiatives to protect, directly or indirectly, children and young people from their exposure to the media.
- IOM is engaged in carrying out systematic research projects, mainly concerning the audiovisual media: radio, television, cinema, multimedia, and new technologies. In addition to its research capacities, however, the institute constitutes the national representative and coordinating body of Greece’s positions on European procedures and programs for the support of the audiovisual industry, such as the “Media Plus” program and the pan-European “European Audiovisual Laboratory.”
- Target Audience — Teens or older students.
- Reach — National.
- Active since 1994.
- Organization type — Media Regulatory authorities.
- Goal — The mission of the National Centre of Audiovisual Media and Communication — EKOME S.A. is to promote and foster public and private initiatives, foreign and domestic, in all sectors of the audiovisual industry. Its establishment is one of the most essential and innovative state policies, aiming to protect, support, and promote audiovisual media and communication in Greece, highlighting the domestic audiovisual sector as one of the economy’s key development components.
- EKOME S.A. addresses modern challenges in the audiovisual market, mainly in audiovisual production but also in education, research, and digitization of archives. Within the three substantial areas of its strategic mission, EKOME is creating the proper infrastructure that will help boost entrepreneurship and attract foreign direct investments in the Greek audiovisual sector, is operating as a center for the creation of the national audiovisual and digital archives policy and is developing a framework for promoting the audiovisual education of citizens (Media and Information Literacy) in Greece.
Melde Project_European Commission
We started our research by looking for information from credible sources like media and information literacy site, and the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations site, among others. These sources provided the organization involved in digital media literacy space in Greece and have provided the information of the organization Media literacy institute, Hellenic Audiovisual Institute, and EKOME SA. Next, we checked if any organization is providing education programs, government law, or conference regarding the digital media literacy space in Greece. We found key players like ECREA and Melde Project_European Commission.