Developer Communications - Stripe (2)
Stripe describes itself as a technology company that aims to increase the GDP of the internet. Stripe's core value proposition towards their audience, which includes both developers and fintech, are accessibility, price, and convenience.
Key Messages And Taglines To Fintech/Developers
- There are thousands of companies, including platforms, extension developers, and plugin builders that Stripe partners with as part of their partner program. Stripe prides itself on the fact that millions of businesses ranging from small startups to large enterprises use Stripe for its business needs.
- Ever since the early days of Stripe, they have always placed great importance on their developers. In 2014, the message on their landing page was, "Web and mobile payments, build for developers."
- As of 2020, Stripe remains consistent to their message about its platform being designed for developers.
- The tagline for their Stripe Partner Program targeted towards their audience is "Let's grow the internet economy together."
- The primary message towards its audience of developers and fintech companies is, "Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet."
- Stripe has an official YouTube account called Stripe Developers; it consists of dozens of videos, such as live demos, interviews, code walkthroughs all targeted for developers.
Core Value Propositions
- Stripe offers three core value propositions for their audience: accessibility, price, and convenience.
- Accessibility: Stripe's service is widely accessible, with dozens of websites allowing customers to accept as well as manage payments with Stripe; they also support over 100 currencies as well as a variety of payment options such as Apple Pay, Alipay, Bitcoin, Amex Express Checkout, and Android Pay.
- Price: Stripe charges a flat rate for all transactions "from accounts that do less than $1 million in volume a year — 2.9% plus $0.30." It also does not include "add-on fees such as those for failed transactions, cross-border payments, recurring payments, refunds, or American Express card usage." This feature allows cost-savings for its customers in the long run.
- Convenience: Stripe also offers plenty of valuable features, making their platform highly convenient to use. Interested parties are able to set up an account in mere minutes. Stripe's API is quicker to integrate compared to its competitors, and they also offer customizable offerings such as Stripe Checkout, which "provides templates that customers can use to design payment forms, so they do not have to do it from scratch."
To identify the core value proposition and the key messages to developers/fintech, we scoured through the entirety of Stripe's official web pages to capture information relevant to the research as well as through leveraging reputable third-party websites in search for information. While we were able to clearly distinguish key messages/ taglines aimed towards only developers specifically, such as the tagline, "Web and mobile payments, build for developers," Stripe does not appear to post key messages/taglines towards fintech specifically; this is because their key message and taglines strewed across their official web pages includes fintech within the purview of their target audience; thus, they do not isolate key messages to fintech-only. The same goes for Stripe's core value proposition, which targets and appeals and applies to both developers and fintech. We have therefore included messages/taglines we have discovered throughout our research that we found relevant and applicable towards fintech. We then compiled the information we discovered to be useful to the research and produced the report as shown above.