Developer Communications - Nvidia
This report provides an overview of NVIDIA's developer communication strategy, core value proposition, key messages to developers and fintechs, developer portal, and lines of business. NVIDIA operates various channels of communication, including a blog, podcast, conferences, and frequent event appearances. NVIDIA's core value proposition for its fastest-growing segment include the factors of speed, power, efficiency, and value. Its key messages to developers and fintechs include empowerment and support. Its developer portal offers a large array of tools, programs, and resources. Lastly, its lines of businesses revolve around its GPU products and Tegra brand.
Communication with the Developer Community
- Conference: NVIDIA holds an annual GPU Technology Conference to share its newest innovations and developments with developers. This year's event was held virtually due to COVID-19.
- Blog: NVIDIA maintains a frequently-updated blog featuring news from its products and related fields and opinions from experts.
- Podcast: NVIDIA offers a biweekly podcast about AI featuring interviews with leading experts in the field.
- Events: NVIDIA is a frequent speaker or vendor at events all over the world. In 2020, events that NVIDIA has been a part of include Cisco Live EU 2020, 3D Experience World 2020, and AnacondaCON 2020.
- Webinars: NVIDIA maintains a steadily-growing list of webinars on a wide range of subjects, including AI in healthcare, HPC workflows, and accelerating data science.
Core Value Proposition
NVIDIA's fastest growing segment, its data center business, successfully channels the values of speed, power, efficiency, and value.
- Speed: When NVIDIA's GPUs are utilized, computing for high-performance computing workloads is sped up by a factor of 25 over traditional CPUs.
- Speed: Computing for AI training workloads are sped up by a factor of 100 when GPUs are utilized rather than CPUs.
- Power and efficiency: When NVIDIA's GPUs are used, the number of servers needed decreases from less than 50 to 200 rather than the 5,000 servers required for similar computing power from CPUs.
- Efficiency and value: With its increased power and the reduced amount of space required, NVIDIA's GPUs result in a reduction in cost of ownership by 80 percent for all types of high-performance and AI computing workloads.
Key Messages to Developers and FinTechs
- Empowerment: On the page promoting its free Developer Program, NVIDIA impresses that its goal is to provide developers with "all the tools and training necessary to successfully build apps on all NVIDIA technology platforms".
- Support: Developers are not alone as the Developer Program "opens up two-way communication" that enables those who are struggling to open conversations about any portion they are having difficulty with.
- Value and exclusivity: By becoming a free member of NVIDIA's Developer program, subscribers get access to members-only discounts on programs and platforms.
- FOMO: On the Solutions page for the Financial Services industry, NVIDIA declares its services to be the "future of finance", indicating that those who aren't using their tools will be left behind.
- Recovery: On its blog, NVIDIA touts the use of AI as being a possible key to economic recovery for FinTechs and the economy in general in the wake of COVID-19.
- Other messages emphasized to the Financial Services industry in particular include convenience (it enables remote platforms for team working), capability ("unprecedented acceleration" in testing model hypotheses and the ability to rapidly deploy AI with Tensor Core GPUs), and flexibility (its cloud services, when paired with SDKs, enable scalable solutions that let the customer "deploy AI in the cloud, on their servers, or at the edge").
Developer Portal Strategy
NVIDIA has a robust array of in-house offerings for developers available on its website.
- NVIDIA operates NVIDIA Developer, a website specifically designed for developers who are utilizing NVIDIA tools, keeping up with NVIDIA news, or prospecting available services.
- NVIDIA Developer provides an overview of all of NVIDIA's solutions, including Conversational AI, video processing, and Languages and APIs, among many others.
- The developer portal also provides free access to diagnostic software tools for developers, including NVIDIA NSight.
- As part of its free developer program, subscribers get free access to all of NVIDIA's SDKs and tools, as well as being informed about conferences and events, special discounts, and more.
- NVIDIA offers a Deep Learning Institute to train interested developers and others in "AI, accelerated computing, and accelerated data science".
- Also available from NVIDIA's developer site is access to NVIDIA GPU Cloud (NGC), "a GPU-accelerated cloud platform optimized for deep learning and scientific computing", providing access to a powerful tool.
- NVIDIA Inception is a virtual accelerator program for AI startups to hit the ground running with NVIDIA's training.
- NVIDIA does not have specific lines dividing between consumer and business purchases, however, it consists of two segments: GPU and Tegra Processor.
- NVIDIA GPU consists of products aimed at specialized markets, including gamers (GeForce), designers (Quadro), data researchers (Tesla and DGX), and cloud-based visual computing users (GRID).
- The Tegra brand combines GPU and CPU tech to create supercomputing capabilities for gaming and entertainment devices, as well as for robots, drones, and cars.
- NVIDIA primarily operates in four markets: gaming, professional visualization, datacenter, and automotive.