Detroit Road Closures
The Michigan Department of Transportation advises that drivers take alternate routes, leave earlier, and otherwise prepare for commuting bottlenecks and backlogs during upcoming road construction projects. Many businesses along these routes are likely going to be affected by reduced traffic from commuting consumers and those simply wanting to avoid delays and problem construction areas within and outside of the neighborhoods. Below is a listing of seven closures and construction projects occurring in Detroit. Full details about each closure including dates of construction, and neighborhoods, streets, and businesses likely to be impacted are housed within the attached spreadsheet.
Detroit & Metro Area Closures
- 2nd Avenue — Northbound/Southbound 2nd Ave at I-94 closed for construction.
- I-275 Roadway Rehabilitation — Parts of I-275 are also going to be under construction in 2020, including Ford and Six Mile Roads.
- MT-102 Segment — Eight Mile Road will have work done between I-75 and I-94.
- 1-75 Service Drive (SB/Oakland) — I-75 will also have major construction on the southbound lane; southbound I-75 Service Drive, Stephenson Hwy/Chrysler Dr, from 12 Mile Rd to M-102 (8 Mile Rd) lane closed for construction.
- Springwells Street — Northbound/Southbound Springwells Street from Olivet Street to southbound Service Drive will be closed for construction.
- Clark Street — Northbound/Southbound Clark Street from Northbound I-75 Service Drive to Southbound I-75 Service Drive closed for construction.
- Forest Avenue — Eastbound/Westbound Forest Avenue ramp to northbound M-10 closed for construction.
Using maps from the Michigan Department of Transportation and Google as well as local news stories and reports, the team was able to identify road closures in Metro Detroit and Detroit-proper occurring in 2020. We were also able to identify the area businesses and neighborhoods most likely to be affected by those closures by reviewing these maps and reports. Please note that Detroit-proper is within Wayne County; however, the Detroit metropolitan area is within several counties (i.e., Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb). Also, please note that the major construction on the southbound lane, mentioned in our initial research, is happening in Oakland County and occurring on the I-75 service road.