Desktop Accessories Market Size
The market size of the US desktop accessories' industry is estimated to be $10,891,718,750. The market grew at a CAGR of 7.51% from 2012 to 2017.
Business to Business
- The desk supplies segment accounted for 11% of the market share of the office stationery and supplies B2B market in the US.
- The US office stationery and supplies B2B market is projected to experience revenue growth of $88 billion by 2021 with a $1.75 billion incremental growth from 2016 to 2021.
- The year-over-year growth rate of the office stationery and supplies B2B market in the US for 2017 was 0.25%.
- In 2012, the US office stationery and supplies wholesale industry's revenue amounted to approximately $41.78 billion.
- When a wholesaler sells their products to a retailer or manufacturers, this is called Business to Business (B2B).
Business to Consumer
- In 2017, US office supplies and stationery store sales came to about $12.55 billion. (Source 2)
- In 2012, US office supplies and stationery store sales came to about $19,194 million. (Source 3 corroborates with Source 4)
- Store sales are equivalent to retail sales, which is a B2C or Business to Consumer model.
- The desktop accessories market is part of the office stationery and supplies market together with other categories such as paper products, stationery and mailing supplies, computer and printer supplies, filing supplies, binding supplies, time tracking supplies, hanging supplies, and identification supplies.
- Key players in the market include Costco Wholesale Corporation, Office Depot, Staples, Target, Wal-Mart Stores.
Your research team began by looking for industry reports on the market size of the desktop accessories' industry from the websites of various research firms such as Grand View Research, Allied Market Research, Research and Markets, Technavio, IBISWorld, Euromonitor, among others. However, the team only found industry reports for office supplies, digital accessories, electronic PC accessories, computer accessories, mobile phone accessories, computers, and peripherals, among others. Since this request is a revision, the team focused on the report obtained for the office supplies industry, which has desk accessories as one of its categories. Unfortunately, this report did not yield any qualitative results.
By focusing on office supplies market reports, the team found information relating to the office stationery and supplies B2B market, office supply stores, office stationery, supplies, and services B2B market, office supplies manufacturing, office supplies wholesaling and the office supplies market. From these reports, there were global and US reports, most of which were secured behind paywalls and did not have segmented data on the product categories that could include desk accessories. The only report which had quantitative data on the US market and segmented data on the product categories, including the desk accessories industry, was obtained from Technavio. The report focused on a business-to-business model, and the data provided had useful data which could be used to get an estimation of the market size and market growth for the desktop accessories' industry.
In trying to find precompiled data for the market size and growth of desktop accessories in the US, the team looked through reports from research firms such as Statista, press release distributors such as BusinessWire and PR Newswire, consultancy firms such as Deloitte, PwC, EY, McKinsey and Company, and KPMG. The team also looked at news and business websites such as WSJ, CNN, BBC, Reuters, Forbes, and Fortune, as well as research sites such as ResearchGate, Wiley, Academia, and Springer. However, the team was unable to find any useful reports.
Having failed to find any precompiled data for the market size and growth of desktop accessories in the US, your research team decided to triangulate the information from the data provided on the Technavio report. The calculations are presented thus:
2017 MARKET SIZE OF THE OFFICE STATIONERY AND SUPPLIES B2B MARKET
2021 data = $88 billion
2016 data = $88 billion — $1.75 billion
year over year growth for 2017 = 0.25%
2016 = $88 billion — $1.75 billion = $86,250,000,000
2017 = ($86,250,000,000 * 0.25%) + $86,250,000,000 = $86,465,625,000
2017 market size = $86,465,625,000
2017 DESK ACCESSORIES MARKET SIZE B2B
Assuming that the market share of desk accessories in 2016 at 11% was consistent in 2017,
2017 desktop accessories market size (B2B) = $86,465,625,000 * 11% = $9,511,218,750
B2C DESK ACCESSORIES MARKET SIZE FOR 2017
B2C or store sales — Assuming that the market share of desk accessories in 2016 was similar to B2C at 11% and was consistent in 2017,
2017 market size = $12.55 billion
2017 desktop accessories market size (B2C) = $12,550,000,000 * 11% = $1,380,500,000
TOTAL DESK ACCESSORIES MARKET SIZE (B2B & B2C)
Adding both values for B2B and B2C, the total desk accessories market = $1,380,500,000 + $9,511,218,750 = $10,891,718,750
Market size of desktop accessories in the US = $10,891,718,750
For the market growth of the desktop accessories, the team used the overall office supply and stationery market data. The 11% market share was used as a constant in this computation, i.e., the market growth of the overall office supply and the stationery market was also equivalent to the market growth of desktop accessories.
Since the report for the B2B market only has data for future growth and one year for past growth (2016-2017), the team looked for any report that could be equivalent to the B2B market and found a wholesale report from Statista which stated that:
"In 2012, the U.S. office stationery wholesale industry's revenue amounted to approximately $41.78 billion."
MARKET GROWTH FOR B2B
2017 market size = $86,465,625,000
2012 market size = $41,780,000,000
CAGR = (2017/2012)^(1/5)-1
CAGR = ($86,465,625,000/$41,780,000,000)^(1/5)-1
CAGR = 15.66%
MARKET GROWTH FOR B2C
2017 market size = $12,550,000,000
2012 market size = $19,194,000,000
CAGR = (2017/2012)^(1/5)-1
CAGR = ($12,550,000,000/$19,194,000,000)^(1/5)-1
CAGR = -8.15%
Adding both growth percentages to get the average :
0.1566 + (-0.0815) = 0.0751