Desk Accessories Trends
The 4 trends in desk accessories in the US are a decrease in paper-based products, eco-friendly desk accessories, desk accessories that personalize the workspace, and desk accessories that are minimal, functional, and boost productivity.
TREND 1: DECREASE IN PAPER-BASED PRODUCTS
- When it comes to desktop accessories, because of IT integration and automation that is becoming more and more prevalent in developed countries, paper-based products are becoming less and less popular.
- The demand for traditional paper has also has declined and consumers want alternatives like the reusable Rocketbook, a digital pad with a pen-to-paper writing experience.
- Dry-erase boards sales are also predicted to increase.
TREND 2: ECO-FRIENDLY DESK ACCESSORIES
- Eco-friendly desk accessories and office supplies represent one of the newest trends in the industry.
- Green initiatives and regulations surrounding the manufacturing of plastic products, which is the material that a lot of desk accessories are made from, may impact the production of traditionally-made office supplies.
- Office supplies, in particular, have seen a surge in products made from recycled materials.
- An example of this is manila folders being made out of recycled fibers and eco-friendly clipboards that contain 100% recycled plastic.
TREND 3: DESK ACCESSORIES THAT PERSONALIZE WORKSPACE
- One of the trends that the Desk Trend Accessory Report focuses on is designer organization which is about design-focused desk supplies that offers consumers to have their individual expression at work.
- Desk Accessories serve as creative decorating tools that employees are using to personalize their desks.
- The trend towards personalization and style at your desk allows consumers to enjoy working hard while staying organized.
- Aesthetically pleasing and visually interesting accessories make offices feel more comfortable. Because this is a place where many workers spend most of their time, their office spaces feel more inviting and boost their productivity and creativity.
- With so many interesting calendar themes available, it’s easy to express our personality or share our interests with co-workers by displaying a decorative calendar that appeals to us.
TREND 4: DESK ACCESSORIES THAT ARE MINIMAL, FUNCTIONAL, AND BOOST PRODUCTIVITY
- When there are days the employees are stressed out or simply restless, simple fidgeting desk toys or over-sized stress balls can be a useful solution. These office desk accessories brighten up one's day to ensure productivity levels are up and ease workflow.
- In the desk toy segment, the various categories are multipurpose one-handed fidget toys, mathematical desktop toys, interplanetary desktop toys, levitating toys, metallic desk toy tools, relaxing labyrinth toys.
- Stationery from the brand Appointed, such as the self-standing calendar, are becoming popular desktop accessories as they are minimal, functional, and do not take much space.
- Another example of the minimal desktop accessories are the Japanese Ito Bindery paper pads which are clean, organized and beautifully made, and are available in a variety of colors.
- Due to the decreased size in cubicles, there is less desk space available for displaying personal calendars at work.
- Having a desk calendar is a quick and easy way to always have a notepad at your fingertips.
TYPES OF ACCESSORIES
- Trending Types of Desktop Accessory on Office Depot: file organizers, wall files, and magazine holders.
- Top 9 Desk Accessories subcategories based on the Office Depot website: desk organizers, file organizers, wall files, desk trays, desk pads, business card holders, magazine holders, drawer organizers, and bookends.
- Trending Types of Desktop Accessory on Amazon: mousepads, laptop and monitor stands, desktop organizers and storage, drawer organizers, business card holders, memory foam rolls for wrists support, scotch tape dispensers, document or book holders (4 items), magnifying glasses, and sticky note pads.
- Based on Amazon's best-seller desk accessories list, the most popular subcategories are laptop and monitor stands (23 items, some of which were designed either for both monitors and laptops or strictly for monitors or strictly for laptops), mousepads (22 items), desktop organizers and storage (9 items), drawer organizers (7 items), business card holders (6 items), memory foam rolls for writs support (5 items), scotch tape dispensers (5 items), document or book holders (4 items), magnifying glass (2 items), sticky note pad, note pad dispenser, pen holder, clip set, hook set, desk pad, desk calendar, suggestion box (1 item for each subcategory) 
To identify the current key trends in desk accessories in the US we started our initial research with the office supplies market research reports as desk accessories are a part of supplies. With this, we were able to identify certain trends, such as a decrease in paper products, etc. Then we continued to research popular office supplies/desk decor, blogs and articles to identify more trends to answer the request. We selected articles from Nymag, Qualitybath, Small Biz Trends, and a paywalled desk accessory trends report. We reviewed these articles to identify common features of desktop accessories that can be categorized and identified as trends as they were frequently cited across articles. With this research methodology, we were able to discern 4 trends.
Additionally, we identified a source with significant information. However, it is behind a paywall. The report is the Desk Accessory trends of 2019 by Trend Hunters, which offers a wider scope of more insights. There are customized paid reports from this source. With whatever data was accessible from this report we could identify a trend and some findings for the same but that was not substantial enough to completely answer the request.
In order to define these trends a "top" trends, we matched these trends with those trending on some of the top sellers of desktop accessories, such as Amazon and Office Depot. In doing this, we reviewed articles on desk accessories to gather additional data points, such as common features they represent and how frequently they are cited in various articles to establish these findings as trends. With this approach, we identified 4 of the top trends in the desk accessories industry. The trending type of desk accessories has also been listed from Amazon's and Office Depot's best-seller lists.