Dating apps have a vast outreach to people at all stages in life. Nearly 50 million people in the US alone have tried online dating, and 84% of them have used a dating app. The dating app scene is thus expected to change and inform new trends. Our research focuses mainly on the expected trends in dating app usage.
1. Locality Specific App.
- Apps are enabling users to be able to find partners according to a specified diameter in accordance with their preference.
- The use of GPS enables the apps to locate users nearby, thus sharing their profile information.
- More location-based dating apps like Tinder, Bumble, and Happn are being developed due to this new feature.
- Harmonica app, for instance, meets the needs of Arab users and gives people a chance to choose their partners.
- The Tinder app has an average of about 50 million users, with 10 million daily active users.
2. Artificial Intelligence (AI) Assist.
- The development and application of AI in the matchmaking process is also an upward trend in the dating app scene.
- AI bases its matchmaking process on the users' actions as opposed to just using their stated preference. Analysis of the time spent on the app, the profile views, and time spent viewing each profile enables AI to near perfectly match people.
- The additional use of videos and emojis as a way of assessing personality has also been on the up-scale.
- Tinder has adopted the AI and also integrated the use of short videos on profiles. This has received positive feedback from its many users.
3. Virtual Reality
- Most dating apps have begun employing the use of virtual reality as a security measure for the clients.
- The matched individuals have the option to meet virtually and even go on virtual dates before deciding whether to go ahead and meet physically. This serves to avert potentially dangerous situations to individuals who may feel vulnerable and who may want to verify the authenticity of the individuals they meet online before deciding to meet up.
- Bumble has integrated a feature that only allows women to make the first move in the matchmaking process and it is reaping from this. The app has a potential of reaching $200 million in revenue this year.
- Virtual reality also enables individuals from different parts of the globe to go on virtual dates, which they would otherwise not be able to go due to their different geographical locations.
- Oculus, for instance, uses virtual reality to help users learn how to approach women.
In Order to get relevant facts for this research, we first checked on the best dating apps according to reviews by digitaltrends.com and publications from BBC.com. After identifying these giants, we went ahead to analyze the kind of features that they are adopting to boost their large following. In addition, we also checked reviews from developers platforms such as gurutechnolabs.com on the technical development in that arena.