Data Catalog Tools Competitive Landscape
- Castor’s data catalog product is available under Free, Premium, and Enterprise plans.
- ALTR offers its product in Free, Enterprise, and Enterprise Plus Plans.
- data.world offers its product to communities for free.
Details on the product features, pros and cons, and pricing for the data catalog product offered by Castor, ALTR, Knoema, Informatica, Immuta, and data.word are provided in the attached spreadsheet. Please note that for Castor, ALTR, and Knoema, there was limited availability of pros and cons for the data catalog product given that very few, if any, of the review sites contained information for the providers. This also has the effect of impacting the availability of pricing information for the data catalog products that do not list pricing information on their websites. During the research, articles from Solutions Review and TechTarget were sourced which provided data on the additional top-ranked or best-in-class data catalog products. These are included for review.
Data Catalog Tools Competitive Landscape
- The data catalog product at Castor allows customers to automate data documentation, sync documentation, and automatically capture knowledge shared via interactions among users. Integrations are available, the company is GDPR compliant to ensure data security, the company has partnerships with many industry data leaders, and support is provided via a personalized Slack channel as well as in-app.
- ALTR’s product aims to provide customers with more security of their data in the cloud and the delivery of added value. Customers can access, and control, their data in Snowflake easily. Set up is easy and potential customers do not need to do any coding. There are data usage heatmaps and an analytic dashboard that can be accessed, viewing of sensitive data is controlled, and for personally identifiable information, the data masking feature is flexible and dynamic.
- The data catalog product at Knoema allows users to navigate by click-through, augment their own data with Knoema and third-party datasets (provided on-demand), and produce shareable dashboards from a combination of different datasets. Centralized data catalogs can be quickly created, even with datasets that come from different sources and in different formats.
- The data catalog product at Informatica offers users the opportunity to treat data using metadata management and intelligent data cataloging. Data is automated using AI. This helps make the discovery, inventory, and organization of data occur much quicker, provides a unified view, and converts data into actionable insights for use in AI and machine learning applications.
- The Immuta Data Access Platform seeks to scale data access and security. The organizational data is discoverable, secured, and monitored to provide access. Features include discovery, data security from PBAC, ABAC, and RBAC data policies, authoring, orchestration, privacy, and monitoring. The product claims to offer data access that is 100x faster, reduce data policies, and improve data security and compliance.
- Data.world is a cloud-native SaaS platform powering data discovery, data governance, DataOps, Data Mesh, and Data Fabric. The differentiating factor for this product is that it is extensible (allowing for connections, cataloging, and discovery within the ecosystem), simple (with a design that makes it easy to use by everyone), and automated.
For this research on Data Catalog Tools Competitive Landscape, we leveraged the most reputable sources of information that were available in the public domain, including information from company websites, industry publications such as TechCrunch, and product review sites such as G2. In some cases, accessing the information on the pros and cons of a particular product was not feasible on product review sites such as Gartner, G2, and TrustRadius. When this happened, the search was expanded to include publications about the product in industry publications, and subsequently to the top or best compilations for data catalog products.