Danone Brand Portfolio: International Delight
International Delight has reached sales numbers of up to US150.25 million in the US, making it the country's second leading refrigerated coffee creamer brand. They use the tagline "We Like How You Party" on their marketing materials and refer to their audience as "Creamer Nation." The findings as well as the methodology used for this research are available below.
SALES / MARKET PENETRATION / CONSUMER AWARENESS
- International Delight ranked second as the leading refrigerated coffee creamer brand in the US with about US$150.25 million in sales.
- In 2018, sales of Danone's Essential Dairy and Plant-Based Products (EDP), of which International Delight is a part of, reached 5 billion euros (US$5.57 billion) in North America which is about a 1.5% sales growth from 2017.
- Of the 12,648 million euros (US$14.10 billion) that represents the consolidated sales of Danone for the first half of 2019, 6,600 million euros (US$7.36 billion) is accounted for by EDP.
NEWS ABOUT THE BRAND
- International Delight entered into a partnership with Pets for Vets by contributing US$150,000 to the organization and featuring the Pets For Vets pawprint logo on every bottle of their new limited-edition S'mores flavor product.
- International Delight revealed a 4x4-foot Easter diorama that featured a space travel- and exploration-inspired design for the launch of their new PEEPS® (marshmallow) Flavored Creamer.
- International Delight starts most of its video ads with the line "How do you like your coffee?" and also features the line "I/We like it international, and I/we expect to be delighted."
- Most of their marketing also features their tagline "We Like How You Party." The messaging on their website is also in line with the "party" theme that they have in their marketing.
- International Delight also uses the phrase "Creamer Nation" in their messaging, both on their website and on social media such as on Twitter and Instagram, to refer to their audience.
- MARKETING CHANNELS USED
- International Delight has a social media following from Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram where they have various posts where they promote their brand and their products. The images used in the posts are usually vibrant.
- They also have a Pinterest board that mostly consists of pictures of their products and some recipes that make use of their products.
- International Delight also has its own Youtube channel where they post ads for their products.
- The ads that they post on their Youtube channel are also aired as television ads.
In order to provide an in-depth analysis of International Delight's brand performance and marketing efforts, we leveraged company reports, websites, and publications; third-party analyses; press releases; media coverage; social media pages; and advertisements, among other sources. To find financial and performance details for the brand, we first performed a deep dive into Danone company publications such as annual and financial reports. Unfortunately, the company only breaks down its performance and financial data according to its three brand segments (Water, Specialized Nutrition, and Essential Dairy and Plant-Based Products), so we were not able to find specific data on International Delight. As a second approach, we proceeded to look for publications, press releases, or insights from International Delight, but these brands do not publish their own metrics; all reports come from the parent company, Danone. Third, we searched for third-party analyses of the brand's performance or financial data, such as media coverage or market research reports. We were able to find some proprietary market research that includes this brand as part of a competitive analysis but these were only accessible when the report is purchased. We were also able to find that the International Delight is ranked second as the leading refrigerated coffee creamer brand in the US in 2018 with US$150.25 million in sales, however, this information is only for the US and does not take into account the rest of North America. Based on these research strategies, we determined that specific financial and performance details of International Delight in North America are not publicly available.
To assess the marketing efforts of International Delight, we searched for company quotes, press releases, or reports on marketing strategy; referred to third-party analyses or media coverage of International Delight's marketing; and performed original analysis of their advertisements and marketing campaigns available online. From this search, we were able to determine the social media accounts of International Delight, as well as some marketing materials that they have used including television ads, however, no quotes from senior leadership regarding marketing strategy were found; nor were any marketing successes or failures specific to International Delight from the past six months. We were able to find that Lianna Capozzola is the Director of Marketing of Danone North America who is also in charge of marketing for International Delight, however, no quotes from her were found regarding the marketing efforts for the International Delight brand.