Danone - Key Themes
Danone's key themes as per their promotions in the past 18 months are "health and sustainability development."
HEALTH AND SUSTAINABILITY DEVELOPMENT
- The company aims to inspire more sustainable eating and drinking practices, in line with their vision—Danone, One Planet. One Health.
- This reflects a strong belief that the health of people and the health of the planet are interconnected.
- The company deliberately concentrates on high-growth and health-focused categories and is committed to operating in an efficient, sustainable, and responsible manner.
- The company also holds themselves to the highest standards, as reflected by their ambition to become one of the first multinationals certified as B CorpTM.
- Danone strives to meet the needs of the consumers through health-focused and sustainably-produced food and beverages.
- The company is developing purpose-led brands and are accelerating their innovation efforts.
- Following their ‘One Planet. One Health’ vision, the company has defined a set of nine long-term goals. These goals are aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations to embrace the food revolution while creating sustainable value for the shareholders and the ecosystem as a whole. More than 100,000 of their employees are the driving force to achieve this.
- The company focuses on healthy foods in some of the fastest growing categories to deliver superior, profitable growth and inspire healthier and more sustainable eating and drinking habits.
- The company stands for natural, sustainably sourced ingredients, for transparency, and for simple recipes and clean labels.
- Danone believes that the health of people and that of the planet are interdependent and they want to nourish and protect both.
HOW THE COMPANY HOPES TO INITIATE "SUSTAINABILITY DEVELOPMENT" AS INTERNAL BUSINESS CHANGES
- The company is fostering an ownership mindset through a program where each employee will be granted one Danone share combined with an annual, amplified dividend-based incentive scheme.
- By building on the power of many and deepening an ownership mindset, ‘One Person, One Voice, One Share’ is a unique inclusive experience.
- This yearly routine will enable them to move forward to embrace the food revolution and create sustainable profitable value for all.
- The company's business model aims to grow as a B Corp, innovating to offer superior food experiences. The B Corp certification is a mark of trust for companies demonstrating high standards of social and environmental performance. This assessment also prompted Danone to formalize the community and environmental volunteering policies for its roughly 6,000-person workforce and to invest in a "robust tracking system that was auditable."
- The company’s policy matches gifts up to $150 per employee per year and supports eight hours of paid volunteering, as well as opportunities to complete community work with teams.
- Employees across the company are encouraged to use the B Corp principles when evaluating new strategies.
PUBLIC REMARKS FROM KEY EXECUTIVE PERSONNEL
- FRANCISCO CAMACHO, Executive Vice President, Essential Dairy and Plant-Based, said that the company wants to offer wider-ranging food and drink choices that become a natural part of consumers’ healthy eating habits throughout the day, adapted to today’s needs and lifestyles.
- HENRI BRUXELLES, Executive Vice President, Waters and Africa, said: "Our main focus is to enhance the experience of drinking plain water—that's the core of our business, and the healthiest choice you can make."
- BRIDGETTE HELLER, Executive Vice-President, Early Life Nutrition and Advanced Medical Nutrition, said that specialized nutrition truly speaks to our one planet. The company believes in one health vision because they don’t just look at the nutritional component of health but also look at taking care and contributing to the well-being of our consumers and of the planet."
- EMMANUEL FABER, Chairman & CEO, said that the consumers are craving change. They expect large organizations like Danone to bring our scale of impact to change the world for the better."
- Faber is also eyeing coffee for further growth as the company takes aim at bigger rivals like Nestle and JAB Holding Co.
- Danone is adding more ready-to-drink options to the Alpro line, such as soy-based Ethiopian coffee with caramel, and expanding it in new markets in Europe.
- Faber said he couldn’t rule out creating additional coffee brands in the future.
- Faber also said that the company is “uniquely positioned” to embrace the food revolution and plans to accelerate its core plant-based beverages and yogurt categories, expanding into adjacencies, and unlocking opportunities in the dairy business and tapping further into the high potential for plant-based growth.
How was this determined as the only key theme that Danone has focused on in the past 18 months?
We started by diving into the company website to get an idea about what the company is focusing on. After carefully going through their mission, vision, and goals, we noted that the company is purely focusing their products on "health and sustainability development."
We found many sections on their website which only talk about how the company is working toward being sustainable and how they are focusing on healthy foods. Based on these findings, we determined that their main theme is "health and sustainability development," which is executed through aspects like organic foods, fat-free yogurt, growing as a BCorp certified company, taking a stand for sustainably sourced ingredients, and for simple recipes and clean labels. They emphasize essential dairy and plant-based products, early life nutrition, medical nutrition, and waters. All of these are aligned with health and sustainability.
Next, we wanted to check if they are also promoting or advertising health and sustainability. To determine this, we checked their social media platforms like YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, and advertising information portals like Moat, through which we noted that most of their advertisements were focused either on being healthy or being more sustainable. Also, we checked multiple articles on Danone's ads and campaigns around the world and most of them were thematically focused one way or another on health and/or sustainability with sub-themes like vegan, organic, fat-free, natural products. Therefore, we found that the key themes of Danone's campaigns globally are health and sustainability.
Next, to ensure that these are the only themes that the company has been focusing on and will continue to focus on in the future, we found an article from Marketing Week which clearly specifies that Danone is re-positioning itself in line with a radical new approach to support people in their choice for healthier and more sustainable eating. We included this as proof that health and sustainability are indeed the only key themes.
In conclusion, we determined that the concept of "health and sustainability development" is of the utmost importance to the company, given that each of their products is focused on it and this is where the company had been in previously focusing on. Therefore, these were considered as the key and only themes.