Daily COVID-19 Scams (April 8)
Additional or new scams related to COVID-19 include phones call to business owners about the paycheck protection loan, a scam targeting Doordash and health insurance related scams. The requested information has been entered into the attached project spreadsheet
- The federal government is warning business owners that a new scam involves phone calls advising that they are required to pay a fee to access the paycheck protection loan. Businesses do not need to pay a fee to access the program and should report the call.
- Doordash drivers are being targeted by a scam claiming they are eligible for a COVID-19 bonus check.
- The FDC has advised consumers to be aware of health insurance scams related to COVID-19. Robocalls will attempt to entice people to purchase fake health insurance.
- ComEd is an Illinois based energy company whose customers are being targeted by a phone phishing scam related to COVID-19 claiming they will have their service interrupted or suspended if they don't provide personal information.
- The FDA issued warning letters to a number of companies who are claiming their products can cure, treat, diagnose or prevent COVID-19. The companies involved include Native Root Hemp, Cathay Naturals, Ananda Apothecary, Alternative Health Experts, Indigo Naturals, NeuroXPF, JRB Enterprise Group, Gaia's Whole Healing, Halosense, Bioactive C60/FullerLife C60, and Carahealth.