Office Task Chairs - Most Desirable Features
The top five most commonly cited desirable features for office task chairs are: adjustable height and arm supports, lumbar support, adjustable backrest inclination, sturdiness, and breathability. Customers expect to find these features in office chairs priced between $170 and $230. More information on these findings are listed below.
Adjustable Height and Arm Supports
- The most commonly cited desirable feature in reviews of office task chairs is adjustable height and arm supports.
- Customers look for chairs that can be adjusted several inches up or down to accommodate their height. Likewise, they desire movable arm supports to sit their elbows on.
- The Duramont Adjustable Office Chair and Lorell Executive High-Back Office Chair are examples of mid-range priced chairs with this feature.
- Lumbar support is the second most mentioned detail that is desired by consumers. Customers look for chairs with a firm, curved backrest for comfortable sitting.
- This ergonomic feature is desirable because it aligns and supports the lower spine in its "natural curvature." The contoured backrest of a lumber supporting chair promotes good posture. It also prevents muscle strain and discomfort that may arise from sitting for long periods of time.
- The Alera Elsuion Swivel Chair and basyx by Hon Mesh Task Chair are lumbar supporting chairs within the price range.
- In addition to lumbar support, a backrest with adjustable inclination is appealing to customers. There are many options of chairs that can recline and be fixed at set angle from anywhere up to 120, 125 or 150 degrees.
- The tilt-function is desirable because it gives the chair user the option to recline and relax.
- The Sihoo Ergonomics Office Chair and Hbada Ergonomic Office Chair have a tiltable backrest.
Strength and Durability
- Sturdiness is also a commonly sought out feature by customers. Some mid-range priced chairs have frames that are made with high-quality steel or a combination of metal and plastic.
- Consumers look for strength and durability in office task chairs because they want a guarantee that the chair can support their weight. They also want be sure that the product will last for a longer than just a few months. Some mid-range priced chairs have an upper weight limit of 300, 350, and even 500 pounds.
- The Sadie Big and Tall Office Computer Chair and Flash Furniture HERCULES Series Big & Tall Black Leather Swivel Task Chair are both sturdy chairs priced between $170 and $185.
- Finally, customers look for chairs with good ventilation and cooling properties.
- Office task chairs that are made with breathable materials are appealing because they are comfortable to use for a long work day. Moreover, chairs with cooling properties make for good use in warmer weather.
- Lorell Executive High-Back Office Chair and Topsky Mesh Computer Ergonomic Chair are made with breathable materials.
The research team consulted several customer reviews on mid-range office task chairs and identified the features that were cited. Then, we looked more carefully at the descriptive reviews and made note of which features were mentioned the most. The reviews are from Ergonomic Trends, Chair Adviser, NY Magazine, and Omnicore Agency. The top five features were determined from how many times each detail was mentioned in the articles. We found that height and arm supports were cited 10 times, lumbar support was cited 9 times, adjustable backrest inclination was cited 7 times, sturdiness was cited 6 times, and breathability was cited 5 times. Next, we used the aforementioned reviews and as well as articles from Windows Central and Top Best Spec to find out why consumers value these characteristics. From the same sources we also determined that they do expect to be able to find these features in mid-range priced chairs. All the chairs fall within the estimated price range, but the prices on Amazon are subjected to change and may vary between the same product of different colors.