Purchasing Manager Demographics
Purchasing managers are almost equally split between men and women, and the average age is between 46 and 47 years of age.
- According to the Census Bureau, there are 201,000 purchasing managers in the United States. Approximately 7,778 of them work in the information technology field.
- The average age of male purchasing managers is 47.1. The average age of female purchasing managers is 46.8.
- Men make up 50.2% of the purchasing managers in the country.
- In 2018, purchasing managers salaries averaged $90,456. In 2018, wages were distributed more evenly for purchasing managers than for the overall labor force.
- The racial breakdown of purchasing managers is 80.8% white, 8.7% black, 6.17% Asian, 1.18% other, and 1.6% of two or more races.
- Business graduates make up 49.4% of purchasing managers, while 7.9% are social sciences grads, and 7.1% are engineering grads. Computer and IT grads make up 2.34% of purchasing managers.
- There were a total of 201,000 purchasing managers, of which 3.87% work in computer systems design firms
- As such, there are 7,778 purchasing managers that work in US tech companies (3.87% * 201000)
While information for purchasing managers is readily available, there was little information found on purchasing managers in the tech industry. We mainly focused our research on industry publications and government databases such as Business Insider, Forbes, the BLS, and Data USA but information was mostly generalized under "purchasing managers", with little to no information about the tech sector. As such, we gathered all the data we could find on purchasing managers and included it here as helpful findings.