COVID-19 Effect on Internet Usage
According to research by Atlas VPN, the usage of VPNs in the United States is estimated to increase by over 150% by the end of March 2020.
- Network provider AT&T reported an increase of 88% in Wi-Fi calling on March 22, 2020, compared to any other usual Sunday activity in the United States.
- On March 28, 2020, AT&T saw a 67% increase in Wi-Fi calling minutes compared to average Saturday activity.
- Wi-Fi usage of AT&T Business was up by 19% on March 28, 2020, versus the same day of February 2020.
- According to research by Atlas VPN, the usage of VPNs in the United States spiked by 53% between March 9 and March 15, 2020, amid the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Research by Atlas VPN also estimated an increase in VPN usage by over 150% by the end of March 2020 in the United States.
- According to research by NordVPN, since March 11, 2020, the usage of a business VPN has seen a growth of 65.9% in the United States.
- Verizon reported a 34% increase in VPN traffic on their network from March 10 to 17 2020 in the United States.
- Verizon reported increased usage of voice calls on mobile devices by 10% as people are talking for a longer time on mobile devices.
- AT&T also reported a spike in voice calls by 74% on Sunday, March 22, 2020, versus any other usual Sunday activity.
- Median mobile download speeds in New York have dropped by 24% in March 2020.
- San Jose, California has seen a drop of 38% in median mobile download speed.