Cost of Branding Startups
- TechCrunch, Tungsten, Designfier, BEMO, and DesignRush are examples of companies that have provided estimates for the cost of branding in the US.
- Estimates from these companies show that there is no one-size-fits-all solution to the cost of branding for startups/small businesses.
- According to TechCrunch, while Bootstrappers and pre-seed startups may have to pay between $100 and $3000 as the cost of branding, Early-stage funded startups may have to pay costs ranging from $5000 to $80,000, depending on the branding services provider (freelancer, small or large firm).
In this research brief, we have provided five separate reports that estimate the cost of branding for small businesses or startup companies. For each, information on the source, a 1-2 sentence description of the selected source to justify its inclusion, a USD estimate, and a 1-2 sentence description to justify the estimates are available. Our search reveals that there is no one-size-fits-all estimate for the cost of branding for small businesses/startup companies. Additionally, the maturity stage of a startup/small business, branding solutions, financial resources, and the source of the branding service may influence the cost of branding.
Name of Publication Source/Body: TechCrunch
- Title: "Startup branding: how much does it really cost?"
- Justification for Selection: TechCrunch is an American focused on delivering breaking technology news, top-notch reporting, analysis, and opinions on tech businesses worldwide. The website has a dedicated section for startup businesses, breaking down insights on growth, funding, and long-term paths of firms across industries and growth stages. Consequently, we found this source credible enough to provide the cost of branding for startups.
- Cost Estimate: $100-$3000 for Bootstrappers and pre-seed startups,
- Justification for Estimate: The estimates show that there is no one-size-fits-all solution to the cost of branding for startup companies. This shows that startups may be influenced by the stage of the startup, specific types of branding components sought, and the source of the branding service.
- Publication Date: March 28, 2019.
$5000-$20,000 (freelancers and small firms), and $30,000-$80,000 (large firms) for Early-stage funded startups.
The exact estimates apply to branding costs around the startup's logo and visual identity (from $5000 to $75,000 depending on the branding agency, whether a freelancer or small or large firms).
Name of Publication Source/Body: Tungsten Branding
- Title: "How much does it cost to brand a startup company?"
- Justification for Selection: Tungsten is a globally recognized company in Brevard, North Carolina. The company has over two decades of experience, from "naming consultants, startups, and entrepreneurs to branding national and international companies, franchises, divisions, corporations, and non-profit agencies." Consequently, the company's contribution to this report will be invaluable.
- Cost Estimate: $3,000 to $5,000 for budget-minded startups,
- Justification for Estimate: These estimates are determined by the nature and financial strength of startup companies. The maturity stage of the startup influences the nature of branding services the company may consider critical. For instance, a startup company seeking customized branding services may look to spend on brand services like identity and personality, a customized logo, a brand style guide, and supportive brand collateral, while a budget-minded startup may leverage brand websites to identify names or hire a freelancer to brainstorm brand names.
- Publication Year: 2020.
$5,000 to $10,000 for Mid Level Businesses, and
$10,000 to $20,000 for Customized Startup companies.
Name of Publication Source/Body: Designfier
- Title: "Branding Cost For Small Businesses."
- Justification for Selection: Designfier is a branding company with recognized industry experience in branding services, including brand identity, business and advertising, website and app design, product design, illustrations, and arts. With the company's experience in the provision of branding services, we found it credible enough to be included in this report.
- Cost Estimate: $5,000 to 30,000.
- Justification for Estimate: The breakdown for this estimate is available below;
- Publication Year: August 22, 2020.
Cost of brand Identity-$1,000 to $5,000
Cost of Market Research-$1,000 to $7,000
Cost of Logo Design-$2,500 to $8,000
Cost of Visual Style Guide-$2,500–$5,000
Cost of Editorial Style Guide-$1,500–$4,000
Cost of Brand Guidelines-$3,000–$4,000
Name of Publication Source/Body: BEMO
- Title: "What Does it Cost to Brand Your Small Business?"
- Justification for Selection: BEMO is a Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft partner company offering managed IT and cybersecurity services. As a three-time founder of small businesses and the Vice President of Marketing at BEMO, Mr. Steve Gershik leverages his decades-long expertise in marketing to provide branding insights through this article.
- Cost Estimate: $1,000 to $100,000.
- Justification for Estimate: This estimate is divided into;
- Publication Date: March 26, 2022.
Name of Publication Source/Body: DesignRush
- Title: "How Much Does Branding Cost: A Definitive Guide."
- Justification for Selection: DesignRush is a global agency network B2B marketplace with more than 15,000 registered companies across 50 countries. The company provides B2B expertise by ranking projects, awards, connecting businesses and resources, and delivering agency recommendations. As a result, we included the company's definitive estimate for the cost of branding for small businesses in the report.
- Cost Estimate: Between $11,000 and $70,000.
- Justification for Estimate: The breakdown is provided with a sample quotation below;
- Justification for Estimate: The publication shows that the cost of branding for small businesses may range from $11,000 to $70,000. The estimates are determined by the required marketing collateral and need to decide by choosing options they can afford.
- Publication Date: October 10, 2022.
Market Research $1,000-$7,000+
Visual Style Guide-$2,500-$5,000+
Editorial Style Guide-$1,500-$4,000+
Website Design and Development-$5,000-$30,000+
For this research report on reports on the cost of branding for startup companies or small businesses, we leveraged the most credible sources of information available in the public domain, including TechCrunch, Tungsten, Designfier, BEMO, and DesignRush. We deployed three criteria to select the examples provided, including the geographic scope in the US, small businesses/startup companies as the subject of the cost of branding estimates, and confirmation that the reports were published within the last five years.