Many corporate websites use timelines (often a block of bulleted text) to tell the history of the company and key moments. Please provide examples of company websites that use innovative and immersive web design to tell the history of the company (either via a timeline or features/tools that are created for the same purpose as a timeline).
Hi! Thank you for your question about examples of company websites that use innovative and immersive web design to tell the history of the company.
In short, ESPN, Thomson, GE, Appspot, Minimal Monkey, Gramercy Park Hotel, Time Toast, National Geographic, BBC and XACH are some of the companies that showcase their history/timeline in an innovative and immersive web design. I have provided a deep dive of my findings below.
There are many innovative examples of representing a timeline/history of a company using the tools and technology available in the market. I came across many globally. However, I have focused my search on the US on providing a Wonder standard list of 10. Though, I have provided two from the UK which were too good to not bring to notice.
1. ESPN: It provides a scrollable interface with text, a map which shows the movement with the story and snapshots/anecdotes on the right.
2. Thomson: It shows how music has traveled and evolved over time on a map.
3. GE: This shows the transformation that GE has undergone over the years.
4. Appspot: It shows how the web has evolved over time in a beautiful two-dimensional time-frame.
5. Minimal Monkey: This is a website by an English developer residing in San Francisco and provides a horizontal clean timeline.
6. Gramercy Park Hotel: The hotel in NY has a clean interface along with a vertical timeline showing the changes it has gone through the years.
7. Time Toast: This uses a classic crowded timeline to showcase the evolution of computer games in a clean matter.
8. National Geographic: It uses the help of flash to show an interactive timeline to teach more about sea monsters.
9. BBC: It shows the British History timeline is a color separated columns with major events dotted throughout.
10. XACH: It shows the release of movies in a particular year along with how the box office sales were collected over the year.
Furthermore, there are many innovative designs for showcasing the history of the company. Some of these are presented in the econsultancy blog, hongkiat blog and adweek (though it is old – 2008).
To conclude, I have provided a list of ten websites showcasing the history/timeline in an innovative and immersive web design.
I hope the research is useful. Thank you for using Wonder. Please let us know if we can help with anything else!