Summarized below are news articles in the past 2 weeks surrounding topics such as people's everyday use of technology, data or personal privacy, politics, and/or culture that are popular and trending on Medium and Twitter. The complete list of 20 news articles are presented in the attached spreadsheet.
Popular and Trending Topics on Medium and Twitter
- Bill Gates commissioned the first hydrogen-powered superyacht in the world in a £500 million signal, believing that the best way to cut carbon emissions is by investing in new clean technology.
- Saudi white hat hackers are taking over two social media accounts belonging to Facebook.
- Amazon, Ericsson, and Sony are withdrawing from Mobile World Congress this year due to the risk that attendees could catch coronavirus which originated in China.
- Canadian federal Privacy Commissioner takes Facebook to court over possible misuse of personal information.
- The fourth batch of Starlink satellites were successfully launched by SpaceX into orbit and nailed a rocket landing on January 29 after days of weather delays for the mission.
For this request, we initially checked for trending topics on Medium and Twitter surrounding subjects like people's everyday use of technology, data or personal privacy, politics, and/or culture. For Medium, we checked its "Popular on Medium" section to be able to identify the top trending and popular topics within the last 2 weeks. For Twitter, we checked for "Twitter Trends" as it was identified by the platform's algorithm. We leveraged its advanced search feature to be able to filter the requested topics, as well as to indicate the 2-week period requirement for recency. After identifying popular and trending topics from Medium and Twitter, we then searched for recent news articles discussing these topics from credible sources as presented in the spreadsheet.