Fruittella - Brand Perception (UK)
According to market research firm YouGov, half of consumers in the United Kingdom have a positive opinion of the Fruitella brand, while 30% and 11% have neutral and negative opinions, respectively. Ninety-one percent of consumers in the country have heard of the brand. In terms of sugar confectionery sales in the country, Fruittella ranks 11th after Haribo, Maynards Bassetts, Rowntrees, Trebor, Drumstick, Swizzels, Skittles, Polo, Tic Tac, and Mentos.
- YouGov reports that, of consumers in the United Kingdom, 50% have a positive opinion of Fruittella, 30% have a neutral opinion of Fruittella, and 11% have a negative opinion of Fruittella.
- Fruittella is most popular among millennials. Sixty-one percent of millennials have a positive opinion of Fruittella, while only 56% of Gen Xers and 39% of Baby Boomers have a positive opinion of Fruittella.
- Fruittella is more popular among women than among men. Fifty-four percent of women have a positive opinion of Fruittella, while only 47% of men have a positive opinion of Fruittella.
- Both Fruittella Sugar Free Fruit Gums Pouch 90 g (Pack of 14) and Fruittella Sugar Free Fruit Foams Pouch 80 g (Pack of 14), which both figure among the 100 best-selling fruit and chewy sweets on Amazon UK, have an overall rating of 4 out of 5 on the online shopping platform. Each has 66 customer reviews, which, in turn, are distributed as follows: 5 star (59%), 4 star (12%), 3 star (6%), 2 star (8%), and 1 star (15%).
- Both products were rated 5 out of 5 for flavor and 4.7 out of 5 for value for money.
- Customers who gave the products 5 stars described the products as "soft and tasty," reasonably priced, "very nice," "not too sweet," and "addictively delicious."
- Customers who gave the products 1 star said that the products spiked their blood sugar and the products caused diarrhea and stomach cramps/gas.
- Consumers' perception of Fruittella's lower-sugar offerings must have been positive overall, since according to Nielsen senior client manager Cameron Sharp, sales of Fruittella's 30%-less-sugar product line have seen a year-on-year increase of GBP 1.8 million, and major retailers have increased the shelf availability of products belonging to this line.
- Fruittella Chewy Mix 5 x 41 g has 28 customer reviews and is one of the favorite sweets of shoppers on Ocado.com. The product was described as "perfect for a treat over summer holidays," "distinctively fruity," "moreish," "satisfyingly chewy," and "lovely flavoured." Twenty-four of the 28 customers who reviewed the item would recommend the item to a friend.
- According to YouGov, Fruittella is the "84th most popular" confectionery brand in the United Kingdom. Ninety-one percent of consumers in the United Kingdom have heard of the brand.
- Fruittella is the 63rd, 74th, and 96th most popular confectionery brand among millennials, Gen Xers, and Baby Boomers in the United Kingdom, respectively.
- Fruittella is the 77th and 81st most popular confectionery brand among women and men in the United Kingdom, respectively.
- Fruittella UK's website links to two social media accounts only — Facebook and Instagram.
- Fruittella UK's Facebook page is liked by 208,237 people and followed by 205,355 people.
- Fruittella UK's Instagram page has 1,343 followers.
- Eight hundred thirty-six people reacted to Fruitella UK's post last June 7, 2019, asking people what their favorite Fruittella flavor is. That post was shared 34 times and commented on 131 times.
- Fruittella UK has a YouTube channel showing four commercials that were posted two years ago. Number of views ranged from 34 to 120 only.
COMPARISON TO OTHER BRANDS
- The top 20 sugar confectionery brands in the United Kingdom in 2018 were:
- Haribo (GBP 171.8 million)
- Maynards Bassetts (GBP 114.9 million)
- Rowntrees (GBP 74.7 million)
- Trebor (GBP 45.3 million)
- Drumstick (GBP 37.8 million),
- Swizzels (GBP 32.2 million)
- Skittles (GBP 32.2 million),
- Polo (GBP 25.7 million)
- Tic Tac (GBP 22.7 million)
- Mentos (GBP 20.3 million),
- Fruittella (GBP 20.0 million)
- Werther’s (GBP 18.9 million)
- Starburst (GBP 16.6 million)
- Candyland (GBP 16.1 million)
- Chupa Chups (GBP 11.3 million)
- Cadbury Eclairs (GBP 8.8 million)
- Chewits (GBP 8.5 million)
- Smint (GBP 7.7 million)
- Bobby’s (GBP 6.1 million)
- Buchanan’s (GBP 5.8 million)
- Matthew Navier, a brand manager at Fruittella UK, says that Fruittella "now features as a top ten best-seller in the sugar-free market."
- Fruittella ranks only 96th and 98th in the fruit and chewy sweets category on Amazon UK. The category is dominated by the HARIBO brand, with 41 of Haribo's products placing on the list of the 100 best-selling fruit and chewy sweets. Fruittella Sugar Free Fruit Gums Pouch 90 g (Pack of 14) is at the 96th spot, while Fruittella Sugar Free Fruit Foams Pouch 80 g (Pack of 14) is at the 98th spot.
- Fruittella does not figure among the 100 best-selling sweets on Amazon UK.
- On Ocado.com, an online grocery retailer that serves England and some parts of Wales, Fruittella Chewy Mix 5 x 41 g is the sixth favorite product in the sweets category, after MellowMallow Natural Vanilla Marshmallows 85g, Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles Sweets Sharing Bag 150g, Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles Sweets Sharing Bag 150g, Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles Strawberry & Blackcurrant Sweets Sharing Bag 150g, and Mentos Mint 5 x 38g.
- Fruittella Chewy Mix 5 x 41 g is also the fourth favorite product in the jelly and chewy sweets category, after Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles Sweets Sharing Bag 150g, Rowntree's Jelly Tots Sweets Sharing Bag 150g, and Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles Strawberry & Blackcurrant Sweets Sharing Bag 150g, and the second favorite product in the fun-size and multi-packs category, after Mentos Mint 5 x 38g.
- Fruittella does not figure among the popular jelly and chewy sweets on Waitrose.com, an online grocery retailer that serves Wales, England, and Scotland. This may be because Waitrose.com carries only one Fruittella product, the Fruittella Strawberry 41 g.
- On Morrisons.com, an online grocery retailer that serves parts of the United Kingdom, Fruittella ranks first, sixth, and eighth among the top ten favorite sweets. Fruittella Sugar Free Fruit Foams 80G 80g is at the top spot, Fruittella Duo — Stix 160g is at the sixth spot, and FruitTella Juicy Chews 170g is at the eighth spot. The other products in the top ten are Rowntrees Randoms 140g, Rowntrees Randoms Sours 140g, Rowntrees Randoms Sweets Sharing Bag 150g, Rowntrees Randoms 30% Less Sugar Sharing Bag 110g, Chupa Chups Mini 18 Lollies 108g, Maynards Bassetts Wine Gums Sweets Bag 190g, and Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles Sweets Pack of 4 4 x 52g.
- According to IRI, Fruittella was one of the winners in United Kingdom's sweets market in 2017. That year, the brand winners, in terms of sales growth, were Swizzels (+35.5%), Haribo (+1.8%), Maynards (+2.3%), Werther's Original (+7.2%), Barratt (+10.2%), Fruittella (+2.3%). The brand losers, on the other hand, were Starburst (-2.6%), Fox's (-10.1%), Chewits (-8.8%), Cadbury (-20.7%), Bassetts (-7.7%), Rowntrees (-5.9%), and Skittles (-11.7%).